• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 Alpha Type 2 Mag Question

TCKev

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2011
Houma,LA
Anybody running Alpha 308 type 2 mags? I'm in the process of building a 308 and I need to know the max length I can seat to? I'll try to call them tomorrow just being impatient.

Thanks

I have the type 3 (same mag, just has the feed lips widened for the 300WSM) and I can (and do) load rounds out to 2.965" just fine, this gives me about .010-.015" room left. I definitely wouldn't load any longer.

May still be limited by length to the feed ramp in a short action unless it's modified. What bullets you planning on shooting?

May still be limited by length to the feed ramp in a short action unless it's modified. What bullets you planning on shooting?

This. If your feedramps aren't up to snuff, you'll bury every round into em and never make it to the chamber. Think limousine trying to climb a 60% grade vs a short wheelbase Jeep.

I plan on the Berger Hybrid 168gr. I'm going to have my Smith modify the feed ramp to accommodate the longer rounds.

I plan on the Berger Hybrid 168gr. I'm going to have my Smith modify the feed ramp to accommodate the longer rounds.
Why? You should only need to do this with a factory rifle ... is it at the gunsmith for some other reason? You can do it yourself with a dremel tool in less than 10 minutes. You just need a "V" shaped notch where the feedramp contacts the magazine. Use a sharpie to mark the area, put on your safety glasses, and go nice and easy.

Last edited:
Why? You should only need to do this with a factory rifle ... is it at the gunsmith for some other reason? You can do it yourself with a dremel tool in less than 10 minutes. You just need a "V" shaped notch where the feedramp contacts the magazine. Use a sharpie to mark the area, put on your safety glasses, and go nice and easy.

And use the proper dremel attachment. Nearly every botched dremel job I've seen(and I've seen quite a few) is directly attributed to improper cutters or tools for the job.