• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Ammo for my 700 SPS-V

Equitum

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Alright, I've picked out everything for my rifle- scope, base, bipod, etc. except for the ammo. My goal with picking out the ammo is to get an accurate round for about $1/shot that will leave me with some decent brass in case I decide to reload in the future (which I probably will).

I've heard some good things about Southwest Ammunition around SH, and since the price is great, I'll probably go with SW over FGMM and BH. I'm going to be shooting 175gr, so my choices on SW are 175SMK with FC brass and 175SMK with Winchester brass (Lapua would be great, but it's outside of my price range for just starting out). The FC brass box runs $18.50/20 rounds, or $0.925/shot, and the Winchester brass box runs $23/20 rounds, or $1.15/shot.

I guess my question is which of these two boxes I should choose to start out with- based on the reliability of the brass, which will give me the better cost/shot over time? I've heard the FC brass runs anywhere from 3-6 reloads, and the Winchester runs 4-8 reloads, so will paying for the Winchester brass on the factory rounds eventually save me money because it will last for more reloads?

Re: .308 Ammo for my 700 SPS-V

Either one will work fine for you as for accuracy.

As for reloads and which will be better over time...im not really sure.

Heath

FGMM 168's are always an incredible deal. I can get them for about $16/box but the retail is about $18-23 depending on how hard you hunt for it.

-Phil

I've already figured that I want the 175gr bullet since it will be the round I use to get out to 1k yards and I want to work with the same bullet the whole time so I don't have to change my zero and I can easily learn the droprates and the adjustments I need to make and not have to learn two or three different ballistics charts.

My main question is, I suppose: Which Southwestern Ammunition match load box should I buy, based on the brass they have with respect to how well that saved brass will lend to reloading later? Will the Federal brass or Winchester brass be better once I start to reload?

Winchester will be better. The federal brass is soft and primer pockets get loose after only a few reloads.

IMHO hand loading is the only way to go for true consistency. I use Lapua Brass, 175 gr Match Bergers, and Federal Gold Match Primers (210m's) with Varget Powder.

This has been an awesome load for me with my 308. 11" twist though.