• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.308 and 208 AMAX - Overall Length?

T.Mihm

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2010
Houghton MI
I've been using the 178 AMAX with good success and decided to give the 208's a try. I'm finding though how long these bullets are, and I was just wondering if anyone would care to share what kind of overall length they ended up with for their load. I determined the length to the lands in my Howa with this bullet to be 3.015", which is way longer than the 2.830" I got with the 178's. Does this sound normal? I ran charge weight testing at 2.995" and got decent results, just don't know what kind of OAL I sounds reasonable.

-Travis

Re: .308 and 208 AMAX - Overall Length?

to get them up to speed for the long run of things you will need them to be long.matter of fact I think my 208gn load is just as long as yours so you are good to go.

what powder and brass are you useing?me I went with R17 and Lapua.but most like win brass and are changeing to varget.

In my Savage 110FP, I measured 10 separate 208 Amax bullets in the cartridge, first using a cartridge with slots in the neck and then confirming the measurements with the Hornady L-N-L overall length gauge. The lengths to the ogive ranged from 2.265" to 2.279", with a median value of 2.274". The overall cartridge lengths ranged from 3.003" to 3.011", with a median value of 3.008". Hope this helps.
Bob

One good comparrison would be to measure the length of the 2 rounds from ogive to ogive using a bullet comparator like the one Hornady sells:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/231904/...-with-6-inserts

if they are similar then you you are in the same ballpark...if the 208 is too much longer you (assuming your other rounds were seated long nd close to the rifling) run the risk of hitting the rifling....

Thanks for the help so far. I'm using Win brass and Varget. Loaded some test rounds up and determined ~40.8grs to be pretty accurate. I would assume there's another accuracy node in the 43gr region, but I only ladder tested to 42gr. Going to play around with the seating depth before I run these much faster.

-Travis

the 43.0gn range will help you out alot better.this will give you the speed you will want to shoot out to 1000.my choice would be as long as I can get them with the most powder.and 43.0gn's of varget gives just that.

My first OCW test with the 208 Amax used RE-15 powder. My "sweet spot" was between 42.4 gr. and 43.3 gr., with a midpoint value of 42.9 gr. Using 43.0 gr. of Varget appears to be pretty reasonable to me.