• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 and 338 reloading

millsd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2010
Austin, TX
What equipment would you guys recommend for reloading 338LM and 308? I've never reloaded, so really no idea where to start or what all I'd need.

Re: 308 and 338 reloading

I have ranted for years about RCBS RockChuckers. I have had 7 of them. I am still using the very first one I bought in 1972.

But I advised a friend last month to get a Redding Big Boss 2. I believe the quality and craftsmanship is at least equal to if not better than that of the RCBS. The OAL in the books for the 338LM is 3.682". The Big Bos 2 has a window in the frame of 4.5" and the stroke of 3.8" That should handle the 338 just fine.

Before you actually buy any hardware get a copy of the Lyman's Centerfire Handloading Manual. Read all the NON caliber specific chapters. Read the safety and setup chapters twice.

Learn what you need / want before you start buying everything. There are always more economical answers. But the outcome will probably be different. Most of time in this game, you GET what you pay for. With a cartridge as big as the 338 you're going to want all the mechanical advantage you can get.

Read all the "stickys" at the top of this forum.

Good luck.

Re: 308 and 338 reloading

RCBS Rockchucker works fine for .338LM. Plenty of leverage. Only thing is when seating bullets you have to tip the cartridge into the die before putting it in the shellholder because of unseated length.

There are tons of firearm forums with good sections on reloading on the net. The reloading forum here seems to tend toward more experienced reloaders. Not that questions aren't answered, but most of the threads don't go into basics like some of the forums.

I agree with getting at least TWO good manuals and reading them (At least the introductory sections) prior to purchasing equipment. I purchased the RCBS Rockchucker kit when I started and it has never caused me any trouble. Unfortunately if you are starting on reloading, be prepared to spend some money aquiring things not included in a kit. For a quick list of extras you will probably end up getting even if you don't take my word for it are:

Calipers (used all the time, get good ones)
Loading blocks (Get caliber specific ones for about $5 from Midway the blocks included in kits are one size fits all and pretty much are useless)
CASE GAUGES!! Can't stress that enough for a new reloader

You will also need dies specific for your cartridge calibers. Get good ones, don't scrimp on these.

For a good beginer forum try: www.thehighroad.org
Plenty of sticky threads for beginners with a ton of lists and info for people just starting.

Good luck,
madd0c