• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.308 and 7.6251 question

Ship Ahoy

Private
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2007
Pittsburgh, Pa
I'm still kinda new to bolt rifles so please excuse this dumb newbie question.

I've looked locally and online for some Federal GMM .308 175gr BTHP SMK to no avail.

The only stuff that's close is some Federal GMM 7.62 X 51 175gr BTHP SMK

Can I shoot that 7.62 X 51 from my Rem 700 SPS tactical with <span style="font-weight: bold">NO</span> problems?

Will it give the same accuracy as Federal GMM .308 175gr BTHP SMK?

Thanks.

Re: .308 and 7.6251 question

I recommend that you check the headspace on your 308 first and compare to the 7.62 you plan on firing. If the the 7.62 is longer than your chamber, then you will be crushing cartridges to close the bolt. Not the ideal scenario. This is the case on several of my 308's.

Good advice, so far. In my "experience" limited, as it is: I buy surplus Military 7.62, and shoot it out of my Rem 700 5R, and M1a all the time, with no problem. I'm looking for the brass, mainly, and surplus stuff is sooo cheap, already loaded, and ready to go, for "fun blasting". For accuracy, hand loads are my choice. Last time I got a 1K rounds, I paid $9.50, for a box of 20, at AIM surplus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joshboucher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good advice, so far. In my "experience" limited, as it is: I buy surplus Military 7.62, and shoot it out of my Rem 700 5R, and M1a all the time, with no problem. I'm looking for the brass, mainly, and surplus stuff is sooo cheap, already loaded, and ready to go, for "fun blasting". For accuracy, hand loads are my choice. Last time I got a 1K rounds, I paid $9.50, for a box of 20, at AIM surplus. </div></div>

you got FGGM for $9.50 or plinking ammo?

Surplus military 7.62, "plinking ammo". gave 2-3 in groups, at 100, in my M1A, and 1-2 in. groups, out of the 5R. I was only speaking to the ability to shoot 7.62, out of a Remmy 700, with "reliability".