• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 and magnum primers

Jcaplinger199

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2019
Arlington, TX
Not new to reloading but new to .308
I have 1000 fed215m that I bought to reload for my weatherby but I sold it. I wanted to use them in my 308

Haven’t done much reloading with magnum primers in standard cartridges. What’s a good starting point for below powders. I guess I just really need to know if it’s safe to start at the manual minimum charge or if I would need to start below the manual minimum charge. If so how much? Thanks

24 inch proof stainless barrel 1-10 twist
Lapua LR brass
Berger 185 juggernaut
Vv150, imr 4895, varget

Just work up a normal start loads, I’ve personally never had pressure problems by switching to mag primers.

You can use Mag primers in 308, just use common sense and work up your load.

I have used mag primers in many standard calibers with good results.

You can use Mag primers in 308, just use common sense and work up your load.

I have used mag primers in many standard calibers with good results.
Of course, just since I hadn’t done it before I wanted to make sure I didn’t need to start below the manual minimum. Since the Manuals are specifying standard LR primer. Thanks

If you already have a good load developed with LR primers, maybe just do a pressure ladder to see if any overpressure signs develop up to your known charge weight. If you have a chrony you can check speeds as well to see how they compare to your known velocity. Be quicker than running through a full load development that may potentially not be needed.

I have 1000 fed215m that I bought to reload for my weatherby but I sold it. I wanted to use them in my 308

Haven’t done much reloading with magnum primers in standard cartridges. What’s a good starting point for below powders. I guess I just really need to know if it’s safe to start at the manual minimum charge or if I would need to start below the manual minimum charge. If so how much? Thanks

Lapua LR brass
Berger 185 juggernaut
Vv150, imr 4895, varget
Those powders are to fast burning for a magnum primer ,which has a hotter and longer burning flame. If at all possible try to use a slower burning powder to get the most efficient out of the magnum primer.

Food for thought:

Right now, 215Ms are much more difficult to come by than something like BR2s.

Lapua LR brass
Berger 185 juggernaut
Vv150, imr 4895, varget

nato spec ammo uses #34 primers which are magnums