• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 and wind at 100 yards

Hayn Lo

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2022
Ewa Beach Hawaii
Did some load development yesterday with 308 150 grain fmjbt using imr 8028 xbr. Started at 39.5 10 rounds each in .5 increments up to 43.5. My rifle seems to have liked 41.0 grains. I had a few groups that vertical was spot on but horizontal had some stringing. Touching but still stringing. I'm sure 99% it's shooter error but I had about 10 to 12 mph winds right to left. Can the wind at those speed move the bullets that much at just 100 yards? Rem 700 22 inch barrel with a brake on it. Thanks

Reactions: simonp
Wind can move a bullet at 100 yards but would not be my first thought.

What matters is not so much the wind as changes in the wind. Wind is not constant, but the changes in wind shot to shot will be less than the velocity of the wind. So if a 10 mph wind will move a bullet half an inch at 100 yards, the change shot to shot might be 20 to 50% of that or less than .25 of an inch.

To answer the question you asked we would need to know the bullet and the velocity.

What you are looking for in the ladder you are shooting is not group size but two or three loads in the ladder which impact more or less in the same spot.

If you load for the middle charge weight you can be confident that variation in powder throws or temperature differences will leave your new best load impacting in the same spot.

Good luck.

150 grain fmjbt I chrono em at 2595. 41 grains imr8028xbr.

Attachments

• IMG_20220319_140505_178.jpg
    IMG_20220319_140505_178.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 67
Did some load development yesterday with 308 150 grain fmjbt using imr 8028 xbr. Started at 39.5 10 rounds each in .5 increments up to 43.5. My rifle seems to have liked 41.0 grains. I had a few groups that vertical was spot on but horizontal had some stringing. Touching but still stringing. I'm sure 99% it's shooter error but I had about 10 to 12 mph winds right to left. Can the wind at those speed move the bullets that much at just 100 yards? Rem 700 22 inch barrel with a brake on it. Thanks
Using Hornady 4DOF, 2,600 fps, 168 SMK, a steady 10 mph cross wind will give you .2 mil of wind drift = .7"

Ah dang, I see I'm Mr. Redundant yet again! haha

Reactions: Hayn Lo
Seems like a pretty light load, how long is your barrel?

22 inches and has a brake on it
Yeah, that's kinda light load (maybe that's your desire???). But nothing "wrong" with it. My ONLY issue with what you said you're doing is the .5 load increments. For a .308 cartridge, .5 is real easy to jump past an accuracy node. Of course, one can always get lucky and hit one depending on the starting point. But, .3 gives you a much better chance of getting it and getting an idea on how wide the node might be. This is what I've found out trying out a lot of different powders in my .308 cartridges.

Last edited:
I was thinking since I found a tight group at 41 and not so bad groups at 41.5 to 42.5 of going g back and making g some loads at .2or3 in that range. I'll go with .3 now thanks for that

Group on the left is 41. Top is 41.5 bottom is 42. These were 4 shot groups I did then went back and confirmed over chrono with 5 shots. The numbers I posted earlier were for the group on the left.

Attachments

• 20220320_103855.png
    20220320_103855.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 84
I was thinking since I found a tight group at 41 and not so bad groups at 41.5 to 42.5 of going g back and making g some loads at .2or3 in that range. I'll go with .3 now thanks for that
Here, you might take a look at the picks below and find the numbers of interest to give you some ideas about your load:

QL - IMR 8208 XBR.jpg

Example of what I'd call a moderate load with 45grs of this powder:
QL - IMR 8208 XBR -.jpg

Last edited:
You've got some tight vertical, and the horizontal looks more like you're pulling (or pushing) more than the wind is causing it - surely a combination of the two. It would take some decent gusts to move it that much at 100 yards.

Other notes:

- I don't like shooting at Shoot'n See type targets when doing load dev. Your eye tends to move toward previous shots, and so does your aim - put up 1" orange dots on white paper instead.

- Zoom out as far as you can where you can still consistently line up on the dot. You don't want to see/chase the wobble, and ideally don't want to see the impacts until you go up and check.

I have a Wilson Combat barrel that will put 3 shots into 1 hole, shot 4 will be *about* an inch to the left, shot 5 will be *about* an inch to the right.
Every stinking time.
No matter the ammo.
No matter the wind, temp, humidity, whatever.
I fucking hate that barrel, but, at least it's consistent.
So yea, it might not be the wind.

I have a Wilson Combat barrel that will put 3 shots into 1 hole, shot 4 will be *about* an inch to the left, shot 5 will be *about* an inch to the right.
Every stinking time.
No matter the ammo.
No matter the wind, temp, humidity, whatever.
I fucking hate that barrel, but, at least it's consistent.
So yea, it might not be the wind.
Lol.

You've got some tight vertical, and the horizontal looks more like you're pulling (or pushing) more than the wind is causing it - surely a combination of the two. It would take some decent gusts to move it that much at 100 yards.

Other notes:

- I don't like shooting at Shoot'n See type targets when doing load dev. Your eye tends to move toward previous shots, and so does your aim - put up 1" orange dots on white paper instead.

- Zoom out as far as you can where you can still consistently line up on the dot. You don't want to see/chase the wobble, and ideally don't want to see the impacts until you go up and check.
🤙🏽🤙🏽🤙🏽

Other notes:

Pretty sure it's me. I'm just looking g for something else to blame haha

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220320-170132_XFR REV2.jpg
    Screenshot_20220320-170132_XFR REV2.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20220320-170121_XFR REV2.jpg
    Screenshot_20220320-170121_XFR REV2.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_20220320-170107_XFR REV2.jpg
    Screenshot_20220320-170107_XFR REV2.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 49
My numbers for the other 2 groups. The final lic of numbers is where it started to open up. No pic of that group the target blew out on the freeway on the way home

It's a good idea to go with .3 instead of .2 as the latter tends to use more components than needs be.

PS: Just a heads up thought, if you haven't already given it a lot of thought yourself . . . being in a place where high humidity is prevalent, you'll not want to have your powder exposed to high humidity any longer than necessary. The powder can absorb that moisture and slow down the burn rate of the powder where velocity can be seen to slow down. So, if you notice your powder slowing down from when you first got it . . . that's probably the reason.