• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 ar-10 168 eldm imr4064

BigBlastin300win

Private
Minuteman
May 30, 2013
Boise, ID
Getting ready to load up some ammo for the gas gun just wondering if anyone had any info on this setup? I would really appreciate the help.

Aero m5 308 tbac 7
starline lrp
imr4064
168 eld-m
fed 210m

Adjustable gas block

I bought starline because i was worried about brass life and getting beat up from the gasser. I usually use lapua on everything. I also wanted to try varget but after a lot of research i picked 4064 since I am able to finder it easier and cheaper. I plan on loading to sammi and have loaded a lot of bolt guns but not a gasser before.

Last edited:
My experience with a 308 gas gun, keep powder charges on lighter end. Once on high end brass was tore up to reload. probably have to try different buffers and springs to get everything happy. You dont mention having an adj gas block, but you may want one especially with the can. Light bullets worked better than the heavies for me.

I started with 178 and 4064, it worked but it was far from perfect regarding reliability and burning clean. Switched to 150/155 and 4895 and found it better on all fronts. I came into the project with bias of high BC, max load and came to conclusion that light is right in this rig. Not saying yours won't love 168 and 4064, but be open to change if you are not thrilled with results.

168 AMax
42.0 - 42.5 gr. IMR 4064
Horn. brass
Fed 210m
Loaded mag length
This is what I have worked up for my gas gun.....no adj. gas block
Stock DPMS lower and 16 in. upper ...2388 fps (42.0 ) its slow but groups moa or less ,no torn up brass or signs of over pressure. 42.5 grouped a tad better than 42.0 but ,my notes say not to shoot in hot weather ...ie ... above 75° . I have no idea the difference in case capacity between Starline and Horn. brass, nor the difference in bearing surface ( if any ) between AMax and ELDM bullets .ymmv
Edit: @isofahunter where did you settle for a 150-155 gr. load ? I've thought about doing the same ( going to 150-155 bullets ) but never did it. Picked up some Berger 155 gr ,want try them out .

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBlastin300win
These old pieces of LC where last fired with 43.8 grains of 4064 with 168eldm. This was on a 60-70 degree day and is about as far as I will push it.
image.jpg

At this charge weight I am just starting to see web and case rim expansion. Growing from .466-.468 to .469-.470. If I keep the charges in the 42.8-43.2 range the brass doesn’t change measurements in these areas and stays in the .466-.468. In my humble opinion, this is the point of trading velocity for brass life.

In water capacity these cases measured around 53.5grains sized(small based, 2.005 trimed) and 55.4 fired.

These were compressed loads in these cases.

Chase reliability, accuracy and consistency. If you want more velocity get a different powder, longer barrel or a different cartridge.

Edit- this was in a 16” DI AR platform.

My experience with a 308 gas gun, keep powder charges on lighter end. Once on high end brass was tore up to reload. probably have to try different buffers and springs to get everything happy. You dont mention having an adj gas block, but you may want one especially with the can. Light bullets worked better than the heavies for me.
Thank you and this is exactly what I have been researching porbably will find an accuracy node and stay away from the hotter loads. Just edited my post about the adjustable block thank you!

These old pieces of LC where last fired with 43.8 grains of 4064 with 168eldm. This was on a 60-70 degree day and is about as far as I will push it. View attachment 7849443

At this charge weight I am just starting to see web and case rim expansion. Growing from .466-.468 to .469-.470. If I keep the charges in the 42.8-43.2 range the brass doesn’t change measurements in these areas and stays in the .466-.468. In my humble opinion, this is the point of trading velocity for brass life.

In water capacity these cases measured around 53.5grains sized(small based, 2.005 trimed) and 55.4 fired.

These were compressed loads in these cases.

Chase reliability, accuracy and consistency. If you want more velocity get a different powder, longer barrel or a different cartridge.

Edit- this was in a 16” DI AR platform.
How did they end up grouping? Thanks for all the solid information!

Following with interest in your results. I'm in search of a .308 caliber bullet that will work equally well in an AR10, FNFAL and M1 Garand. Ballistic tipped bullets not making the grade. Probably end up with a 168gr bullet based on testing thus far. Just got some IMR 4064 to try out. Have IMR 4895 and Varget on hand to compare.

155 amax was a good bullet but tips broke off occaisionally. switched to the sierra 155 palma #2156 and no issues. that was a very good bullet, seemed to handle the lower speed well. was good to 1k if the wind cooperated.