• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 ar bang for the buck

cleric

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
Dallas, tx
I have wanted a 308 ar for a while and am thinking about pulling the trigger. General use...range, back up hunting, etc. may be dumb enough to form 1 and make a 12in upper. But 18in to start

What is the best bang for buck? I was looking at the larue uu but curious what else I should look at?

I looked at a home build as well
Aero precision kit 300ish-550
PRs stock and jp silent spring 300ish
Trigger 100
Lower parts 100
Barrel with gas block 400-600 (switchblock premium)

Anything else I should consider?

Interested in responses from more experienced than I

I have personally had great luck with Aero Precision components. Never owned, but have fired complete setups from them and all functioned as expected. Owned a lot of Bushmaster before that (when they were made in Maine) and could always count on them, dollar for dollar.

Reactions: The_Mechanic
Bang for the buck... if you want a rifle that just works PSA is a good route to take. Myself and plenty of other folks on here have had good experience with them. I have a few Aero Precision lowers and they are very nice, as nice as some much more expensive. Well machined and finished they are.

You can do much better than LaRue. This is a rule to live by.

At this particular moment, sitting here with this particular cup of coffee, here is my bang for the buck recommendation...

Build your own lower and buy an upper. If Aero runs a sale on lowers or if PSA has a batch of blems posted go that route. Otherwise you might be better off avoiding the FFL fee (or maybe you have a friend who does it for free) and getting a well priced quality lower at a LGS. Spikes are widely distributed, high quality, priced right (often $100ish). Spending just a few more dollars on a Spikes is worth it over a PSA. But either will work fine.

Get a Spikes or similar enhanced LPK (from Joe Bob's et al) but without a trigger group. Good triggers go on sale all the time so wait for one to pop up.

Get a PSA upper when they go on sale. You may have to wait and watch, but probably not for very long.

My recomendation may change between now and this evening depending on how my day at work goes. But I don't think you can go wrong with this for an economy build.

Reactions: Lawless
Aero Precision (IMO) is by far the best option for 308 or creedmoor. The barrels are BEAUTIFULLY made by Ballistics Advantage and the new handguards are awesome. This picture currently has the SLR handguard but I am selling it to get an Aero R-line.

I have a ton of Palmetto stuff (probably a dozen Palmetto AR15's currently) and nothing wrong with it but the Aero M5 stuff is top notch and cant be beaten. I also have about a dozen M4 Aero AR's and those are by far my favorite. Once another democrat gets elected (eventually) I will offload all my palmetto crap.

Attachments

• IMG_5213.JPG
    IMG_5213.JPG
    353.9 KB · Views: 83
I'll second the Aero Precision M5 build option. I've got the below rifle kit prepped for a build once I settle after the next move. I'm sticking with .308 but a Creedmoor is a great choice and may be a little softer in recoil. I'm going with a shorter stick to reduce weight as this will double as a hunting rifle. We'll see what it actually weighs in at when complete but if it's close to SCAR 17S weight I'll be happy. The spec'd build below is under $2k and you could shave $300-$500 off it buy going with a different barrel option.

- Aero Precision M5 upper, lower and 15" M-LOK handguard (FDE)
- Proof Research barrel
- Seekins Precision adjustable gas block
- CMMG .308 lower kit
- BCM SOPMOD stock kit (FDE)
- BCM gunfither pistol grip (FDE)
- POF Tomahawk CH
- Fail Zero .308 BCG
- Geisselle SSA-E trigger

I know there isn’t much PSA love here in the land of GAP10 but for the money you could do worse. They need a few things to be made right but it is all easy fixes. @bfoosh006 is the man to ask questions of and has been there and done that.

DPMS is also an option and while the range gurus may sneer I have owned them and they perform great.

Reactions: bfoosh006
Check out my budget 308 build review I did last year. This gun was a tack driver. Cant beat the Wilson 416SS barrels at JSE Surplus! Can get it in fluted or non-fluted. Price can definitely be brought down too. Can go with a Larue or ALG ACT trigger and save $100 there. Cheaper handguards, etc.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/budget-308-ar10-sub-3-4moa-build-thread.6546011/

https://www.jsesurplus.com/18WilsonArms308Hbar1x10FlutedStainlessSteelStripped.aspx

https://www.jsesurplus.com/18wilsonarms308hbar1x10ssnitridedstripped-1.aspx

Reactions: bfoosh006
I have built my own with Aero and JP in a Creedmoor. Had a lot tied up in it. It was very accurate, but for the price difference and the accuracy, I will be buying a PSA. If money is no issue, build you own. If you buy a PSA , you will be doing something to the rifle to change it anyway.

Kinda of anti psa...

Think aero precision is the way I will go. I can slow build and try to find deals.

My biggest issue right now is the switchblock. I want an easily tunable solution but don’t want to pay the novekse premium on the barrel. I haven’t seen anything else that didn’t require an Allen wrench to adjust

Kinda of anti psa...

Think aero precision is the way I will go. I can slow build and try to find deals.

My biggest issue right now is the switchblock. I want an easily tunable solution but don’t want to pay the novekse premium on the barrel. I haven’t seen anything else that didn’t require an Allen wrench to adjust

I have an adjustable from SLR and I just stow the allen key in the magpul handgrip.... no big deal and way cheaper.

Price range ? I've been well pleased with my pws. I put a heavier buffer and spring in it for shooting with a silencerco omega on it and a Gieselle SSA-E trigger but that's it. Adjustable gas from the factory. My rifle has four positions but I believe the new ones only have three.

Don't tell anyone but I have a DPMS Recon GII. Handguard was like holding a cheese grater put a MI forend on it and it has become a favorite of mine. Have two DPMS rigs and my experience has been good.

Reactions: cornhusker86
I’m into my PSA for $670. 695 of you count the lower transfer. More than happy with the accuracy and runs like a top. Doesn’t seem over gassed looking at the brass and ejection pattern. I’m hoping they get their 260 out soon so I don’t buy a 6.5Jesus. I don’t need more components for a different cartridge floating around.

I'm also on the same boat, just pulled the trigger in buying the first piecemeal for my build. I went with Aero parts, since AR-10 is not standardized as the AR-15 platform. Will be deciding on which path should be next, waiting for sale :)

Aero Precision upper/lower set
Aero Precision LPK
Aero Precision charge handle

--> next is
Aero Precision BCG
Aero Precision M5 .308 RIFLE BUFFER KIT (no stock)

or

BA .308 AR DPMS Style 20" Bull Barrel

Check out my budget 308 build review I did last year. This gun was a tack driver. Cant beat the Wilson 416SS barrels at JSE Surplus! Can get it in fluted or non-fluted. Price can definitely be brought down too. Can go with a Larue or ALG ACT trigger and save $100 there. Cheaper handguards, etc.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/budget-308-ar10-sub-3-4moa-build-thread.6546011/

https://www.jsesurplus.com/18WilsonArms308Hbar1x10FlutedStainlessSteelStripped.aspx

https://www.jsesurplus.com/18wilsonarms308hbar1x10ssnitridedstripped-1.aspx

Gonna read those tonight. Thanks for sharing.

Build>Savage MSR>everything else when it comes to value.

I 1st gen PSA upper never functioned 100%. PSA refunded my full amount from another 'authorized' seller with a check. I turned around and ordered a 2nd gen for ½ the cost of the 1st and it's been 100%. I did add a flat wound recoil spring. But that's it.

100 yards. Factory ammo. Primary Arms 4-14 ACSS reticle.
1st and only "groups".

IMG_0318.jpeg
img_0317-jpeg.7021285

IMG_0319.jpeg
IMG_0323.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0317.jpeg
    IMG_0317.jpeg
    346.7 KB · Views: 404
Personally, I also think the Savage MSR 10 Long range is a excellent complete rifle out of the box... I am not sure about other caliber uppers though.

Everything I have read about the Savage is good... they built it properly from the get go.

I have seen them priced around $1650.

Change the trigger and hand grip ( IMHO ) and go shooting.

Reactions: Potss
Bang for the buck? Don't be afraid of a DPMS Oracle. Plain Jane to be sure, but reliable and accurate with a good trigger. Mine has Magpul furniture, Geissele 3Gun trigger, 3x9 VX-R, and a Surefire brake. It'll hold 10 shots into 1-1/2" at 100 yds. with Hornady 168 hpbt match.

DSCN1287.JPG
DSCN1292.JPG

Last edited:
Naturally dude asks for "bang for the buck" and gets a list of best AR10's out there.

Best bang for the buck is none other than a DPMS AR10. At $800 try and beat that.

Can you do better? Yep

Can you do better for less? Doubt it.

Reactions: cornhusker86
Colt 901 mentioned above. The monolithic uppers have been discontinued but they are offering them with conventional rails now with stainless barrels in 308 and 6.5 Creed. You can also pick up a used MWS in the $2k range.

Take a look at Rock River Arms. Solid, reliable and accurate rifles at a very reasonable price.
I have several Rock River firearms,the problem you have is their stuff is proprietary.
I am a huge fan of Aero precision and have a few of those as well.
The problem you will find with the larger platform is nothing is standardized.
With that,pick a platform and stick with it.
You can build a hell of a nice gun for around $1,200.
Aero receivers and handguards
Centurion Barrel
Gessile trigger
And other stuff of your choosing.

Twice the gun as dpms as well. Regarding the mws. No experience with the colt.

DPMS off the shelf are really nice large frame AR's.

5 out of 10 are a little over gassed, you see it on the lugs after a bit.
easy fix
but for the price and accuracy they are hard to beat.

the last one i had (prob 8-10 years ago) was under 1.5 MOA consistently and really close to 1 moa with FGMM 175's.
we would train on 11 x 21" plates out to 1000 and i had no prob getting there.

one thing i can say is that with big frame AR's;
because the bolt is so much bigger the recoil of the last shot and the lock back or the return to battery not stripping a round really screws things up alot.

youll really have to train and remember where you are in the mag, or that last one is ALWAYS a flier.

BTW in this instance I usually recommend the SW MP-10. I've seen them with a goofy ammo pattern for under $1k at Cabelas-might have been a 1 time deal with that color only. I've seen them go for anywhere from north of $1k to $1.5k ish. I've seen them shoot moa-ish at my range.