• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 AR BCG recommendation

RprtasteforLR

Private
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2019
Oregon
So I've decided to assemble myself an ar10. I have an aero precision upper and assembled lower on the way. I've been trying to research a good bcg for this build but theres lots of options. I'm probably going to put a 20" criterion barrel on it and use it for long range shooting. Any help or advice would be great. Thanks !

BTW for a little more than what the Criterion costs you can get a Proof SS. You can get them under $400 for 308 or 6.5 creed if you shop around. Much better quality than Criterion all around, and cut rifled.
Criterion is 280$ right now for a 22" hybrid contour. I'm new to barrel shopping so is "cut rifled" something different than normal? Im open to suggestions on barrels as well.

Criterion is 280$ right now for a 22" hybrid contour. I'm new to barrel shopping so is "cut rifled" something different than normal? Im open to suggestions on barrels as well.

I thought they were more than that. Still worth the cost difference to get a top quality barrel if precision if your goal. The barrel is the single most important part of a precision build.

Cut rifling doesn’t induce stress into the barrel since it takes only a little material per pass. Button rifling (how criterion’s are made) induce a lot of stress and must be stress relieved. Sometimes they’re properly stress relieved, and sometimes they’re not.

I thought they were more than that. Still worth the cost difference to get a top quality barrel if precision if your goal. The barrel is the single most important part of a precision build.

Cut rifling doesn’t induce stress into the barrel since it takes only a little material per pass. Button rifling (how criterion’s are made) induce a lot of stress and must be stress relieved. Sometimes they’re properly stress relieved, and sometimes they’re not.
I just looked up the different processes so thanks for that info. Criterion is on sale right now on optics planet. Precision is the goal so I will check out proof. Do they make heavy bull barrels for ar10s? I feel like I dont see bull barrels much for ARs and I'm used to my ruger precisions heavy bull barrel. Maybe it's different with ARs

My advice would be get a Toolcraft bolt from spicetac.com. With the 100 bucks you save go to Krieger direct and get one of their AR 10 cut rifled barrels. Krieger barrels. You can search for them. Cut rifled. Top tier outfit. I have high end and low end bolts and really can't tell the difference.....other than price!

My advice would be get a Toolcraft bolt from spicetac.com. With the 100 bucks you save go to Krieger direct and get one of their AR 10 cut rifled barrels. Krieger barrels. You can search for them. Cut rifled. Top tier outfit. I have high end and low end bolts and really can't tell the difference.....other than price!
I was at least thinking nickel boron for cleaning time? Aero precision nickel coated I can get right now for 198$ on sale at primary arms. I think when I mapped out a Krieger it was about 550$ for what j would want.

I just looked up the different processes so thanks for that info. Criterion is on sale right now on optics planet. Precision is the goal so I will check out proof. Do they make heavy bull barrels for ar10s? I feel like I dont see bull barrels much for ARs and I'm used to my ruger precisions heavy bull barrel. Maybe it's different with ARs

Yes Proofs are heavy contours. They do both full SS and also Carbon wrapped. I’d stick to the SS for a target rifle.

If you go on their website you can find the barrel you want, take that part number and search google and also gunbroker to try to find the UPC # and then once you have the UPC plug it into the search bar of gun.deals and it’ll pull up all the dealers that list that barrel and their prices.

I have both a 308W in 16” for plinking/hunting and a 22” 6.5CM for 1K target and Pronghorn. I have a JP LMOS w/adj gas block on the 308W and a nitrided Toolcraft BCG with the high pressure bolt in the 6.5CM. The JP is very high quality and makes me feel good, but so is the Toolcraft as far as machining/fit finish for WAAAY les money. I bought my Toolcraft on sale at Arm or Ally for $130. What’s important is the .065” firing pin to be honest.

I have both a 308W in 16” for plinking/hunting and a 22” 6.5CM for 1K target and Pronghorn. I have a JP LMOS w/adj gas block on the 308W and a nitrided Toolcraft BCG with the high pressure bolt in the 6.5CM. The JP is very high quality and makes me feel good, but so is the Toolcraft as far as machining/fit finish for WAAAY les money. I bought my Toolcraft on sale at Arm or Ally for $130. What’s important is the .065” firing pin to be honest.
Did you see the double ejector being worth anything ? Says 6.5 creedmor for the double ejector model but I'm assuming that's still compatible with 308.

This is real simple,when you call Criterion ask for Josh.
Ask him to send you a head spaced Fulton Armory or a JP bolt along with your barrel.
Then go buy a toolcraft carrier.
I want to laugh at the one poster talking shit about Criterion,have you ever owned one?

Reactions: Stooxie

I call total bullshit to your entire post.
Your theory may work for other companies.
Creiton puts in the work and knows how to make a barrel.
Ask JP or Fulton Armory if their stuff is any good

I call total bullshit to your entire post.
Your theory may work for other companies.
Creiton puts in the work and knows how to make a barrel.
Ask JP or Fulton Armory if their stuff is any good

Theres been a crap load of sub par criterions, I’ve had some. They’re Kriegers commercial side, they are not a premium barrel regardless of what you want to think.

Perfect example... KAC uses Krieger and not the much less expensive criterion’s. If they were premium then why would KAC spend the money to put Krieger on guns like the LPR and such?

Criterion isn’t even in the top tier of button barrels. Sorry to hurt your feelings, but not sorry.

You have a gas block that goes onto the barrel that has to fit under a handguard. You wont find a heavy bull barrel like on your.bolt gun on a gasser because of.this. Fatest you're going to get is .936 gas tenon and a hair under that out to muzzle...

You have a gas block that goes onto the barrel that has to fit under a handguard. You wont find a heavy bull barrel like on your.bolt gun on a gasser because of.this. Fatest you're going to get is .936 gas tenon and a hair under that out to muzzle...
Thanks that makes sense

Theres been a crap load of sub par criterions, I’ve had some. They’re Kriegers commercial side, they are not a premium barrel regardless of what you want to think.

Perfect example... KAC uses Krieger and not the much less expensive criterion’s. If they were premium then why would KAC spend the money to put Krieger on guns like the LPR and such?

Criterion isn’t even in the top tier of button barrels. Sorry to hurt your feelings, but not sorry.
Krieger has not been affiliated with them for years.
It's pretty hard to dispute the winnings they have under their belt.
Who do you think makes all the stuff for CMP?
You didn't hurt my feelings,I'm just calling your bullshit to light.

Reactions: Stooxie
Krieger has not been affiliated with them for years.
It's pretty hard to dispute the winnings they have under their belt.
Who do you think makes all the stuff for CMP?
You didn't hurt my feelings,I'm just calling your bullshit to light.

Right, because open sight AR’s are the ultimate test of accuracy.

Take a look at this thread:

One guy just a few posts down who I know to be well versed in this stuff couldn’t get a good Criterion AR tube out of 4 fucking barrels. You don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about. Several other people commented in the same thread with similar results.

Now my Criterion experience isn’t quite that bad but it’s bad enough and I know enough that there is no way in hell I would choose one for a precision gas guns. I’ve had a crap load of Criterion’s on factory Weatherby Accumarks, Super Varmint Masters, Super Predator Masters, and Ultralights which are all supplied by criterion. 90% of them in standard calibers and not the weatherby rounds with long throats and crap. We’re talking 223, 243, 308 for most of them and they’re all in B&C stocks with bedding blocks and it’s always a 50/50 chance of whether you get one that will shoot 1/2-3/4moa with match ammo or loads, or if it struggles to shoot 1.5moa. Meanwhile the Vanguards and Howas with Japanese hammer forged barrels in Tupperware stocks all shoot as good as the good shooting Criterion’s on the $1500+ Mark V’s.

But yeah, Criterion’s are top of the line tubes. You keep telling yourself that homeslice.

Did you see the double ejector being worth anything ? Says 6.5 creedmor for the double ejector model but I'm assuming that's still compatible with 308.
I’ve never had problem ejecting cases with a single or double ejector and both styles of bolts will interchange seamlessly on a 308W or 6.5CM.

In the court of public Internet opinion this is the first I've EVER seen of Criterion taking any hits. Maybe I'm just not in the know but all of my Criterion barrels, both AR and bolt actions, are laser beams. They are one of the few/only barrel makers who will nitride their barrels after hand lapping.

I have several Criterion barrels with RCA 308+ BCGs. I use JP extractors with them and they go bang every time and make little bug holes in targets (or dead deer).

The Criterion barrels on sale at OP (and you can always get a coupon code for another 10% off) make for a hell of a deal. I have a 20" hybrid contour M118LR chambered barrel, it's terrific and does not copper foul.

-Stooxie

In the court of public Internet opinion this is the first I've EVER seen of Criterion taking any hits. Maybe I'm just not in the know but all of my Criterion barrels, both AR and bolt actions, are laser beams. They are one of the few/only barrel makers who will nitride their barrels after hand lapping.

I have several Criterion barrels with RCA 308+ BCGs. I use JP extractors with them and they go bang every time and make little bug holes in targets (or dead deer).

The Criterion barrels on sale at OP (and you can always get a coupon code for another 10% off) make for a hell of a deal. I have a 20" hybrid contour M118LR chambered barrel, it's terrific and does not copper foul.

-Stooxie
So I'm seeing a few people that dont use a full bcg from one company. You're saying it's best to use a JP bolt inside a less expensive bolt carrier?

So I'm seeing a few people that dont use a full bcg from one company. You're saying it's best to use a JP bolt inside a less expensive bolt carrier?

Yes and no. JP does make a terrific bolt and the bolt is where much of the action happens. I use the RCA bolt but just swap out the extractor for a JP enhanced extractor because it's machined beautifully. The JP 308 bolts are pretty expensive.

I would try a Toolcraft 308 HP (often sold as 6.5 CM) or RCA 308+ and if the extractor hook looks cleanly machined and it extracts well then use it. On the Toolcraft I would go with nitride or DLC.

OH, and plan on an adjustable gas block. All but mandatory with 308 ARs.

-Stooxie

Reactions: RprtasteforLR
Yes and no. JP does make a terrific bolt and the bolt is where much of the action happens. I use the RCA bolt but just swap out the extractor for a JP enhanced extractor because it's machined beautifully. The JP 308 bolts are pretty expensive.

I would try a Toolcraft 308 HP (often sold as 6.5 CM) or RCA 308+ and if the extractor hook looks cleanly machined and it extracts well then use it. On the Toolcraft I would go with nitride or DLC.

OH, and plan on an adjustable gas block. All but mandatory with 308 ARs.

-Stooxie
Great advice. What do you think of the aero precision bcg? Nickel B on sale right now for 198$ complete bcg. Is toolcraft thought better than them ?

I do NOT own a semi-auto with Krieger barrel, yet. With that said, I own a number of bolt guns which were re-barreled with Krieger barrels and I have 0 complaints. As a matter of fact, I now ONLY get Krieger barrels for my projects. I can't imagine they are not equally as good for semi rifles.
:) No, I am NOT an employee or affiliated with Krieger.

Great advice. What do you think of the aero precision bcg? Nickel B on sale right now for 198$ complete bcg. Is toolcraft thought better than them ?

I don't have any experience with Aero stuff, although I hear good things. I personally am not a fan of nickel boron, to ME it's too thick and discolors quickly. I prefer nitride, which has no thickness, or DLC, which is very thin and tough.

My personal opinion is that this will be the best value:
https://www.armorally.com/shop/toolcraft-ar10-308-double-ejector-bcg/
This same BCG was recently $119, but still a great buy at the current price. I had to buy one on general principle for $119 ?

-Stooxie

Last edited:
Reactions: scatterbrains