• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 ar build. what barrel?

jjrgr21

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2011
VA
i'm having a hard time deciding which barrel to get. i don't plan on going heavier than 178 amax, but would like to be able to shoot mil surp 147. i don't want to go the whole hog and have a barrel turned. i'm thinking the fulton 20" 110 or HB, they are both 1x12 or the rainier arms ultra match which is a 1x10. i would go with noveske, but don't like the intermediate gas system.

i really want to shoot 178's

max range for this is 1k

if anyone has any other ideas, my budget on the barrel is around 500 max, but the more i save, the more i can shoot.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2239

http://www.fulton-armory.com/barrelfatitan20nmm110ss1x12875gasblockthreaded.aspx

thanks for the input

Re: 308 ar build. what barrel?

The Rainier barrel is a solid choice, as are the barrels offered by White Oak Armament. You can also get a custom Krieger for right around $500, but expect to wait a couple months. Pick from among those three, and it's unlikely you'll be disappointed. A 1:12 should be good for the 178gr amax, but I'd look at a faster twist if I thought I might shoot 185s or heavier/longer.

John

i haven't seen any 308's from WOA? i definitely like the sound of the rainier. and don't want to wait of course, and rainier is supposed to have great CS.

thanks for the info

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jjrgr21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i haven't seen any 308's from WOA? i definitely like the sound of the rainier. and don't want to wait of course, and rainier is supposed to have great CS.

thanks for the info </div></div>

They aren't a stock item at White Oak, so you'd be in the position of waiting for them (probably John Hollinger) to make the barrel as with Krieger. I'm waiting on a custom 20" Krieger H-bar DCM barrel myself, and know the wait is not fun...

That was exaclty my thought. I sent Krieger my bolt, although it's for an AR-15 - it's all they need to chamber it properly.

i'll give krieger a call

but another question, is there any true difference in armalite vs dpms extensions and barrel nuts, other than the design? i noticed that handguards seem to be semi proprietary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jjrgr21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i'll give krieger a call

but another question, is there any true difference in armalite vs dpms extensions and barrel nuts, other than the design? i noticed that handguards seem to be semi proprietary. </div></div>

ARMALITE and DPMS have different extensions.

Use the $80 ARMALITE FFHG or go SWS for a railed tube. The proper barrel nut comes with the FFHG of your choice.

Having Criterion's M110 bbl from Fulton and its perfect with 168s and fairly nice with 175s. I would recommend going to 1:11 or even 10 for 178 amax and this will let you use up to 190-210 grainers.

+1 on the Criterion... Just got one for my dpms platform, no wait either

my first thought was the Criterion from FA, but the 1x12 had me back off. i want to shoot 178's, so i think direct from krieger or the rainier is the route for me.

anybody have a 178/varget load?

i have the novesky 21 inch 1-10 twist in my AR10, it loves the 175, with 43 gr of varget in win brass loaded to mag lenght it is just about an MOA at 1000 yds. the hornady 178 shoots as good with the same load.

If it were my build I would use the Armalite platform and then I would:

1) I would contact Hollinger and order a 22 inch 1 in 11 or 1 in 10 barrel with an extended gas system and a low profile gas block.

2) I would buy the 15 inch SWS rail

my 168 load is 44 gr of varget, so i figured 43 gr would be a good start with the 175/178.

has anyone used the armalite gunsmith kit? and how are they working with pmags?

i was going to try tactical machine, but i think i want to just stay with a forged set.

krieger has a looonnngg wait, and i don't want anything to do with any propitiatory gas tube. i know novesky shoots.

Dude, if the .308 Rainier barrels shoot as good as the .223 Rainier barrels then you will be more then tickled pink.

My buddy just got his .223 barrel and it is a hammer. I would not hesitate to use one of their barrels. RainierArms has great CS as well, all my experiences with them have been great.