• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 AR Ejection Port Wear

R.O.U.S.

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2011
WA
I have a question to people with a bigger bore AR. Do you notice any wear around your ejection port after shooting?

My old LMT 16” MWS beat the area near the brass deflector so much there was gap even with dust cover snapped in place. My current 16” Larue OBR is now doing the same the same thing to a smaller extent. The area near the shell deflector is showing wear.

Is this just a fact of life, or is this unusual behavior? Is this because the barrel is 16”? I come across a lot of pictures of rifles in immaculate condition, but I'm getting wear after 380 rounds on a new rifle.

What have you guys encountered? I do understand that most people care about reliability, and worry about aesthetics later. This is just a pet peeve of mine.

Re: 308 AR Ejection Port Wear

My AR10 300 SAUM smacks brass back so hard (even with an adjustable PRI gas block completely closed) that it sends it flying forward at 1:30-2:00 and the only place I see any wear is on the shell deflector. Nothing noticeable in the port.

R.O.U.S,

My 16" OBR also shows wear right where the deflector meets the reciever. Never gave it much thought, but I sure as hell don't want a gap to be present when the dust cover is closed. I'll be keeping my eye on it from now on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falsecrack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">R.O.U.S,

My 16" OBR also shows wear right where the deflector meets the reciever. Never gave it much thought, but I sure as hell don't want a gap to be present when the dust cover is closed. I'll be keeping my eye on it from now on. </div></div>

I wouldn't worry about that happening to the OBR. I don't know how to explain it in words, but the MWS has a lip right next to the shell deflector that can get hit, the OBR doesn't really have that.

L1000520.jpg

This was after 200 rounds on my then new MWS. It got much worse after another 600 rounds before I sold it. It was a great rifle, and I never had a reliability problem, but it is an annoying problem to have.

Actually, i've heard of this happening before but I can't remember if it was a symptom of being overgassed. However, I have heard mentioned that the MWS tends to pull towards overgassing. I only have about a hundred rounds through one, so I really couldn't comment personally to the issue. Either way, lets hope one of our fellow Hider's can shed some light (or at least theories) on the situation.