• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 ar headspace

cleric

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
Dallas, tx
I am in the middle of a dpms 308 build and have a question about head spacing. My plan was to order a 20in ultra match barrel with bcg from rainier. However they can't seem to have both in stock at the same time.

So if I get some go no go gauges. Can you adjust headspace?

I am getting dpms pattern barrel and bcg.

Thanks

Re: 308 ar headspace

Cleric,

If you are a gunsmith, you can do the headspacing yourself.

I would get the set of go, no-go gages and check to see if the bolt headspaces to the barrel.

308ARs unfortunately are not plug & play like AR-15s.

Re: 308 ar headspace

I'd echo what Flyboy said. I will also add the your best bet is buying your bolt and barrel together from the same place. However, if that's not possible within an acceptable time frame, the rule of thumb should be to buy a bolt and carrier matched to your barrel type. SR-25 types aren't compatible with the Armalite types, but you should be OK if you buy a type matched to your barrel type. Buy the field guage set anyways just to be safe, I wouldn't take for granted that a matched barrel & bolt set is properly headspaced.