• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.308 AR type

jrl5678

Private
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2010
TX, Harris
Hi everyone (again)
I am looking in to a getting building a 600yd+ .308. I am looking for in put as to DPMS over AR-10 over RRA LR-308.

Re: .308 AR type

What is your budget and do you have lots of FN-FAL mags laying around (RRA take FAL mags) ?

The RRA rifles are actually pretty nice, I know someone that has one and it is a good shooter. But they have a few quirks in the way that they are made. Not bad quirks just stuff that might make it a little harder to modify it in the future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrl5678</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi everyone (again)
I am looking in to a getting building a 600yd+ .308. I am looking for in put as to DPMS over AR-10 over RRA LR-308.</div></div>

why

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrl5678</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi everyone (again)
I am looking in to a getting building a 600yd+ .308. I am looking for in put as to DPMS over AR-10 over RRA LR-308.</div></div>

why </div></div>

Maybe because that's what he wants? Why does he have to justify what he wants to you?

I have a lar-8 rra. standard 20 inch. I had some mag problem with the factory mags. I use Fal mags and have no problems since. It will shoot about a inch group with 168 bh ammo at a 100 yds. That's off bi-bods and a bag.

Gave up on the FAL, huh?!?

As for Armalite v. DPMS v. RRA...it really all depends on you. Here are a few "issues" re: each:

If you want to "build" I would remove RRA from your list. There is limited aftermarket support because of RRA's proprietary design. That is a real hindrance when it comes to selecting barrels, handguards, etc.

Between the Armalite and the DPMS-type 308 ARs...it is a blondes v. Brunettes choice that more or less comes down to whether you want to run Armalite mags or DPMS/C-Products/Magpul/KAC mags. There is nothing that one platform can do that the other is any less capable of so long as the shooter is doing their job.

That is boiling it down about as simply as you can...

I like my DPMS "hybrid" and it shoots great. I shot a .4 MOA grouping the other day with it during load development. ORD hit the nail on the head.

Its all about how much you are willing to spend. I just had a "custom" AR 308 built. Not a cheap venture. Do some research. Find what you like and don't like. With most of us, its gota look cool but you still want it to be a hammer. My advice is to find a top notch barrel and build from there. If you are not a patient man go with a complete DPMS or ARMALITE. You can usually find a good one for sell in the firearms section. Good Luck!

Remember that you get a lifetime warranty with a new Armalite and an "accuracy" guarantee also...which is worth a lot.

If it won't shoot under 1 MOA, they will make it shoot! If you build....you are on your own!!!

Consider also a POF .308 unless you are set on a non-piston gun. Very capable 600 yard gun.

BigBore56 said:
Remember that you get a lifetime warranty with a new Armalite and an "accuracy" guarantee also...which is worth a lot.

If it won't shoot under 1 MOA, they will make it shoot! If you build....you are on your own!!! [/quot

Have to agree. So, if you do build make sure whoever does your work is squared away.

I love my DPMS LR-308. The 24" bull barrel is more accurate than some bolt guns, shooting 3/4-1/2" 5 shot groups at 100yds with Fed GMM. I haven't even started reloading for it yet. I added a PRS stock and mono-pod, Harris bipod, 2-stage match trigger and tactical grip and I'm still at about the cost of a stock Armalite. I replaced my DPMS factory mags with the C-Products mags. They're cheap and they work great. Nothing against Armalite, but if I had it to do over, I would definitely buy another LR-308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Consider also a POF .308 unless you are set on a non-piston gun. Very capable 600 yard gun. </div></div>

1+ on that. Love my POF.

To ammend my previous statement, if I had it to do over again and I had the cash, I'd get a POF. Otherwise, I'd Buy another LR-308.
smile.gif

Boltripper I am looking to punch paper beyond 600YDs

ORd did nto give up on FAL but it seems like a stock AR .308 would be cheeper and 1MOA with out really trying. FAL would be expensive and maybe only 1MOA at best.

if this helps cloud the water rock river now has a couple of different quad rails in stock plus daniel defense , jp rifles and another manufacture I cant remember have let handguards out on the market now . you can make a prs stock work with a spacer from brownells . they are also making a similar mag to magpul and so is dsa. you can get fn-fal mags at decent prices if you look. I saw a rra lar 8 operator with the 16 inch barrel at the fun show saturday and it looked great , fi I didnt already have a 20 incher and had not just dumped a grand on an acog it would of come home with me. I really enjoy mine but would not have any issue owning a dmps or armalite. I have shot them both and they appear to be fine to me. good luck and enjoy what ever you decide to buy

I have done some more research.
I am curious about peoples feelings regarding HK-G3 mags vs FAL Mags VS PMags VS other types of MAgs effecting your AR-type .308 rifle choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrl5678</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have done some more research.
I am curious about peoples feelings regarding HK-G3 mags vs FAL Mags VS PMags VS other types of MAgs effecting your AR-type .308 rifle choice. </div></div>

It is all a matter of cost for most of the equation.

You can get aluminum G3/HK91 mags for next to nothing ($1.50 or so/mag), but the CMMG lowers that use the G3 mags are only compatible with DPMS uppers...at that, you will have to modify your DPMS upper by removing material from the walls of the upper to allow the mags to fit. Also, you lose the LRBHO function that you get with other mags/systems.

For the DPMS platform...the Magpul LR-20 PMAGs are where it it at for reliability and cost. I have run DPMS factory and C-Products mags and had some problems with 100% function from both platforms in a variety of mag capacities. I switched to the LR-20s when they came out and all those problems went away. They are also cheaper than the DPMS factory mags and only a few dollars more than the C-Products mags.

Armalite is it for mags as far as the AR-10s go. There are no aftermarket companies offering products for that platform in terms of mags (although conversion of M1A/M14 mags is possible). However, unlike other companies, the Armalite mags JUST WORK!! Whether Gen 1 or the new Gen 2 mags, the Armalite mags have always been 100% for me with a huge range of ammo. The only downside to the Armalite (not really...but just for purposes of your situation) is that they cost a little more than other alternatives for other platforms. Armalite mags can be had new for around $30/mag while the Magpul LR-20 PMAGs cost only around $20. Again...I don't think it is even a factor, but some people get hung up on spending a few dollars more for mags after they spend thousands on rifles, scopes/mounts, accessories, etc. Without a quality mag that is 100% reliable...you might as well buy a single shot rifle instead of a gas gun!

Rock River is the only AR-style rifle using the FN/FAL mags in their system. Again, for the reasons I gave you before...I'd stay clear of the RRA platform. Not saying that it isn't a capable rifle at all...

Waiting on my DPMS LR-308 (24"barrel) to arrive. Hopefully I'll have some first hand feed back of my own soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carbinero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would only go with KAC/DPMS/P-mag compatible. From there, my choice would be:

1. LMT
2. DPMS if I had to buy now and didn't have enough money for #1
3. KAC if I had lots of money
4. Colt if I could wait:

http://www.defensereview.com/dr-exclusiv...try-forces-gif/ </div></div>

I don't see POF on your list and I would personally put it up near that #1 or #2 spot.

well if you have not bought one yet i will toss in my experience
I have owned over 5 DPMS 308s, I still own one
P1320590.jpg

they all shot great including this one shoots about .5 with factory match ammo
I own a FAL and have owned 8 of them I have have owned FNAR, M14,all shoot well. I did use the SR25 at SOTIC and Campbell at the Locker but was mildly impressed for the cost.

after all and said if I had the money, which I am saving up for,(Army paycheck) I would only buy 1 Semi auto 308 for accuracy and reliability it would be a POF, the 2 I have used shot under .5 and functioned perfectly, other rifle would be the SCAR Heavy but its not available yet to Civilians but in the SOF world its a hit.
i carried a M14 in Iraq and loved it, also carried one in Sniper School at Benning for Stalking, but accuracy is not equal to a POF or DPMS 308 with out lots of work and $$$

My picks are
#1 Scar heavy
#2 POF 20 inch
#3 DPMS 24 inch
#4 M14
#5 FAL
#6 FNAR

I own all of them or have used them so I can say this from experience.
here are some of my 308 semi Autos

P1330755.jpg

P1320627.jpg

P1300484.jpg

P1220609.jpg

P1220610.jpg

nothing against RRA.. but i like the dpms pattern lowers over the rra.. just for the simple fact that i can run.. DPMS/C-Products/Magpul/KAC mags.

as for accuracy rra, armalite, dpms, all are more accurate then most shooters are..

ronin

Just ordered an LAR-8 Standard Operator. I'll report once I receive the rifle and Leupold Mark II.