• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Barrel length?

Ebby

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2009
MS
I picked up a Rem 700 ADL Varmint the other day. It has a 26" barrel. My plans are to shoot the factory barrel for now and rebarrel down the road. I was going to get the factory barrel cut. Is there any advantage to leaving it at 26"? I was planning on going to 22". Is there a better choice for me? Planning on making it a tactical build eventually while slowly acquiring parts for it. Thanks guys
Lee

Re: .308 Barrel length?

If you are chasing the speed demon then longer barrel is better as long as you don't mind giving up a little bit of maneuverability.

I think the main question is, what do you want to do with the rifle? 1k comps? Handy plinker and practice rifle?

I understand that I'll be giving up some speed by going shorter. I plan on using it as LR plinker and paper puncher in a tactical style rifle. Right now just mainly a bench gun while I'm stretching out my abilities. I do not plan on using it in any matches or anything and it won't be for work related activities. Does the .308 really benefit from a longer barrel like some of the Magnums?

I like the shorter handy rifles. If you wanna cut it back go for it.

Picture is worth 1000 words.... Video is worth 10,000,000 words.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/15qj032UJ1I"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/15qj032UJ1I" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Awesome video! Thanks very much. I guess I should have no problem cutting it off. I appreciate it.
Lee

I have a rem 700 aics SAC custom build with a 24" barrel, 1 in 11.75" twist and the YHM stainless steel phantom suppressor. I was told that longer barrels reduce accuracy from vibrations, is this true? If so is there a balance for the best twist rate, bullet weight, and barrel length to get the optimal accuracy and speed? I plan to shoot 155 gr.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barney88PDC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do not think they mentioned caliber but that is a .308Win case he loads correct? </div></div>

If your talking about the video, that is a .308 Gladius rifle built by GA Precision and Lowlight is shooting Corbon ammo

I'd be very interested what advantages a 26" has over a 20". A 20" is going to be obviously more maneuverable. But what else?

I have a 20 right now, swapping out barrels with a 28", and I was thinking about having it cut down to 26.

I'm not saying you CAN'T hit long shots with a short barrel. But if the difference is ~90fps, I'd rather keep that velocity. Especially if I'm canning it.

Since I only deploy in and out of vehicles if the match stage calls for it, I prefer the length and velocity, esp in a 308.

If I were running and ducking on a two way range I'd sip the short barrel Koolaid, but I'm not.

Thanks guys. I may keep it about 22-23" sort of a good compromise I think. I like the maneuverability but don't want to give up too much.

I have an SPS tactical with a 20 ich barrel. When I rebarrel, it will be at 22. I think its the best compromise between velocity and handling.

I thought about chopping my 28" down to 26" when mounting it. No reason to shorten a perfectly good barrel. I'd do 20 to fit it in the case, but why make the rifle fit the case?

I will be going from 20" to 22" when the new barrel comes in.