• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 barrel selection

Munson

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2011
Cypress, TX
Well hello everyone, new guy with a question that I am sure has already been asked a thousand times. I finally decided to make the plunge into the longer distance world and decided to go with the LMT MWS in 308. Originally I was looking at used guns with chrome lined barrels, but have come across a particular beautiful rifle with a blackened stainless steel barrel. Now this barrel is adding about $250 to the average price I've been seeing these guns go for. My question is whether its worth it. I would like to see this thing out to 800-1000 yds, and also be a handy tool for up close work if needed. Thanks in advance.

Re: .308 barrel selection

Who manufactured or is selling the barrel(what brand) and what is the rate of twist?

Sorry about that. It is the standard LMT stainless barrel that LMT offers. 1:11.25". This is straight off their website:

MWS .308 upper receiver with 16" stainless steel 1:11.25" twist .308 tactically flat matte blackened barrel, standard semi-auto bolt carrier group, tactical charging handle assembly

16" tube will shoot past 800m just won't be as accurate due to sub sonic velocity. If your range time is spent at this distance than you should look at 22" - 26" inch barrels. If you do need it for close quarters/home defense then a 20" might be a fair balance. The below link can give you info on velocity/ drop/etc with various rifles/loads.

http://ballistics.ntinnovations.com/OpenLoad.aspx

Rich

I do appreciate the response. I was trying to get more an answer on whether or not its worth spending an extra 250-300 dollars to get a stainless steel barrel in that platform.