• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 barrels: short for precision, long for hunting?!?

R700P308

Private
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2017
Kentucky
I'm looking to make an entry into precision shooting and am debating between the Bergara B-14 HMR and a Tikka CTR dropped into a KRG Bravo chassis, both in .308.

I've noticed a trend from both companies though: the "hunting" models in .308 have longer 22-24" barrels, but the "precision" models have short 20" barrels? Why? When hunting you're realistically going to be staying within 300yds (150yds for most of us), but in competition you might go out to 800+.

Seems backwards. Why is this? Unless everyone thinks a shorty .308 is fine, I'm gonna have to get a different rifle.

(I want a .308 instead of a 6.5 Creedmoor on Philip Velayo's advice, so I learn recoil control skills, etc that will transfer to larger rifles later.)

(I want a .308 instead of a 6.5 Creedmoor on Philip Velayo's advice, so I learn recoil control skills, etc that will transfer to larger rifles later.)

Why did I not think of that, I'll order up a 10 lb .50 BMG and get the best "recoil control skills" in the country.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I don't think it works like that. You learn recoil control skills by shooting with proper technique. You could use either of those cartridges for that.

Reactions: ThePretzel
This is only a guess.
With the popularity of suppressor use growing, especially in competition, a can adds 6+ inches.
So adding a 6-8 inch can to a 24 inch barrel would be a little more cumbersome to move in and out of barricades.

Why they would advertise one length for one purpose over another makes little sense.
Again, just a guess.

Why did I not think of that, I'll order up a 10 lb .50 BMG and get the best "recoil control skills" in the country.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I don't think it works like that. You learn recoil control skills by shooting with proper technique. You could use either of those cartridges for that.

It is some what correct thought, right? You can get away with a lot more sloppiness on a light recoiling heavy rifle. There has to be a point where you are getting more feedback on your technique from your rifle. Doesn't there? I think I understand where both of you are coming from, and I think both of you are correct. I feel like I get sloppy when I shoot a lot of 223 because I don't notice bad technique as much. Then I go out with my not particularly heavy 300wm and think gee, I need to pay more attention to my technique shooting heavy light recoiling rifles.

I'm looking to make an entry into precision shooting and am debating between the Bergara B-14 HMR and a Tikka CTR dropped into a KRG Bravo chassis, both in .308.

I've noticed a trend from both companies though: the "hunting" models in .308 have longer 22-24" barrels, but the "precision" models have short 20" barrels? Why? When hunting you're realistically going to be staying within 300yds (150yds for most of us), but in competition you might go out to 800+.

Seems backwards. Why is this? Unless everyone thinks a shorty .308 is fine, I'm gonna have to get a different rifle.

I think that your gut feel is right. While there will always be some who buck trends, you will find that statistically people into precision rifles sports almost always tend towards longer barrels, looking for additional speed and additional weight. Whereas hunters are often wanting shorter barrels for portability and lighter weight. Again, with exceptions.

I think 20" 308s became popular with the swat/police snipers where you have shorter engagement ranges and honestly 20" balances well with the ballistic capability of the caliber unless you're doing something specific like Palma. Longer hunting barrels are likely just because 22-24" has been the standard.

I do 16-18" hunting barrels on my builds because I rarely ever think about a shot beyond 500yd. Usually 50-250.

Precision aka tactical barrels are short for getting in and out of confined areas and also accommodating a suppressor.

Short barrels are more accurate which is why short range Benchrest uses them but in real world use it’s a non issue.

It is some what correct thought, right? You can get away with a lot more sloppiness on a light recoiling heavy rifle. There has to be a point where you are getting more feedback on your technique from your rifle. Doesn't there? I think I understand where both of you are coming from, and I think both of you are correct. I feel like I get sloppy when I shoot a lot of 223 because I don't notice bad technique as much. Then I go out with my not particularly heavy 300wm and think gee, I need to pay more attention to my technique shooting heavy light recoiling rifles.

I don't know, when you put it that way I see your point, though I'm not quite sure I agree. Still the details between your example and the OP are quite different. With mid-weight factory loads the 300WM has about six times the recoil of the .223. That is a pretty big difference. (I just made up the number six, based on how I perceive recoil, if your perception is different we can go with your number.) My point being the difference is quite large.

I have an short AI AX with .308 and 6.5CM on it. If I handed it to you and let you install the barrel of your choice without telling me which caliber you had installed, and I had to tell you which cartridge was installed by the feel of the recoil after firing a single shot, I could not do it with 100% accuracy. If you took that rifle to the Snipershide cup and had the 100 top shooters do the same thing how many would correctly identify the caliber from a single shot? 75, perhaps 80 but if (as a thought experiment only) you wanted to predict 90 would be correct, I would be glad to be on the other side of that bet.

Yes the 6.5 has lighter recoil, but not so much lighter than a .308 that you can't practice good habits. Even more so the slightly less recoil is more likely to help newer shooters avoid picking up a flinch, which will then follow into the shooters .338LM shooting.

I love the .308 and I love the 30-06. I think every rifleman should have one of each. But I do not think ownership of either rifle cartridge is key to developing good recoil management.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Full disclosure: while I do shoot, I am by no means one of the top shooters here. Just sharing my opinion, and my reasoning.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
I don't know, when you put it that way I see your point, though I'm not quite sure I agree. Still the details between your example and the OP are quite different. With mid-weight factory loads the 300WM has about six times the recoil of the .223. That is a pretty big difference. (I just made up the number six, based on how I perceive recoil, if your perception is different we can go with your number.) My point being the difference is quite large.

I have an short AI AX with .308 and 6.5CM on it. If I handed it to you and let you install the barrel of your choice without telling me which caliber you had installed, and I had to tell you which cartridge was installed by the feel of the recoil after firing a single shot, I could not do it with 100% accuracy. If you took that rifle to the Snipershide cup and had the 100 top shooters do the same thing how many would correctly identify the caliber from a single shot? 75, perhaps 80 but if (as a thought experiment only) you wanted to predict 90 would be correct, I would be glad to be on the other side of that bet.

Yes the 6.5 has lighter recoil, but not so much lighter than a .308 that you can't practice good habits. Even more so the slightly less recoil is more likely to help newer shooters avoid picking up a flinch, which will then follow into the shooters .338LM shooting.

I love the .308 and I love the 30-06. I think every rifleman should have one of each. But I do not think ownership of either rifle cartridge is key to developing good recoil management.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Full disclosure: while I do shoot, I am by no means one of the top shooters here. Just sharing my opinion, and my reasoning.

If I had to shoot just one and not the other. I probably could not tell, and I shoot 6.5 Creed and .308 quite a bit. Depending on the load, I could probably tell the difference between a hot load and a 178, and RL15 and 120 class bullet. But the 140 and 178 or 168 loads I shoot, I probably could not tell.

Your last line goes double for me. That was all I was doing. I wanted your's and other's take on my line of thinking.

Reactions: diverdon
I agree that you can learn ample recoil management with a 6.5, EVERY rifleman/patriot should own atleast one .308. Even if you dont shoot it alot, you need to have it and know how to shoot it well. Almost like an "in case of emergency" type thing. I will never NOT have a .308 in my safe. That's just my thoughts and convictions.