• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 barrels

cloverleaf22

Private
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2021
USA
Anyone have experience with Proof Stainless, Lothar Walther, Lilja, or Shilen AR-308 barrels and/or know how I could expect one to stack up against a custom krieger or bartlein turned by Craddock or CLE? I was also wondering what everyone's experience has been in regards to barrel profile and accuracy and their thoughts on what a good balance between weight and rigidity is for a precision oriented large frame AR. I know lighter barrels heat up and shift quickly but was more curious what type of if any diminished accuracy I could expect with a thinner profile barrel such as the Lilja AR-10740 which is .75" from shortly after the barrel extension to the muzzle compared to something with a bit more meat behind the gas block. As far as higher end ready to ship 18-20" options go, there's the Lilja at like 2.3lb and the others listed at 3.5-4lb but there doesn't seem to be much in the middle.

I’m on my second Lothar Walther , the first one was made by angels! That thing shot like a bolt gun! I have not had time to really test this 2nd barrel for accuracy but from what little I have shot it, it appears to be sub MOA but not like the stainless steel one as before, this one is nitrided so it may take a while to settle down….

My only experience with Lothar Walther barrels are those on AI bolt rifles -- I believe Lothar Walther used to provide most of the factory barrels for AI -- and they were incredibly accurate.

No experience with Lothar Walther's AR barrels, but if the quality is the same as those AI used, I would not hesitate to get one.

Reactions: GhostFace
Thanks for the input everyone, I'm going with a L.W.

I can either go with 1.00" under the handguard, .875 gas block, and .850" after the gas block, or I can go with .890 under the handguard and .750" from the gas block to muzzle. The latter being about 1/2 pound lighter. Thoughts?

Last edited:
They have pre-made 18 and 20 inch .875 and they come with a matched bolt. If you don't need the bolt you can sell it and it comes out even cheaper. If you deviate from the pre-made barrels it is considered a custom barrel and it cost more.

They have pre-made 18 and 20 inch .875 and they come with a matched bolt. If you don't need the bolt you can sell it and it comes out even cheaper. If you deviate from the pre-made barrels it is considered a custom barrel and it cost more.
They have both in premades, the KA profile is the 1.000/.875gb/.850 profile and the Vartac is the .890/.750gb/.740 profile. I was pretty much settled on the vartac but now I'm kind of second guessing.

Attachments

• KA.png
    KA.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 49
  • VARTAC.png
    VARTAC.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 63
8 oz. in the barrel would only matter if you're carrying it to me. I'd take the extra material to heat up longer (and cool down longer) if it were mine.

Reactions: GhostFace
I’m on my second Lothar Walther , the first one was made by angels! That thing shot like a bolt gun! I have not had time to really test this 2nd barrel for accuracy but from what little I have shot it, it appears to be sub MOA but not like the stainless steel one as before, this one is nitrided so it may take a while to settle down….
best barrels imho

I guess I didn't see those...

Yeah I had to email them, the website doesn't really say.
8 oz. in the barrel would only matter if you're carrying it to me. I'd take the extra material to heat up longer (and cool down longer) if it were mine.

I ended up going with the heavy profile. I figure with intent to add a bipod and maybe a suppressor in the future it's already going to be heavy, and with the goal being accuracy I might as well make the best of it. What's another 1/2lb.