• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 baseline load

Wally Pinkerton

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2014
Just finished up a rifle. Haven't shot it yet.

Can any of you tell me what to expect with this load. (Mostly as a base line, I'll do some tinkering on my own for my specific gun) Velocity? Accuracy? Etc.

175smk
43g varget
WLR primer
Lapua case
2.860 OAL

24" bull barrel, APA Fat Bastard brake

With just about the same load, only difference being length I am getting around 2650fps. This is a 10rd group I shot with my AI at 100. Around the 7th shot I pulled the one that is outside the group and knew as soon as I pulled the trigger.

[image]

With just about the same load, only difference being length I am getting around 2650fps. This is a 10rd group I shot with my AI at 100. Around the 7th shot I pulled the one that is outside the group and knew as soon as I pulled the trigger.

[image]

What length are you running?

Similar to may base load.

Except I am at 43.5 grains and a Fed LR Match primer.

178 amax 42.2 gr varget with fc case. Best group .597
175smk 43.6 gr varget fc case. best group .649"
155gr lapua senar 44.5 gr varget lapua case. Best group 4.75"

All five shot and all have regular non match cci 200 primers.
The lapua load is my match load because it is the highest velocity and beats the wind the best.
But to answer your question yes that's a great starter load.

And also recognize that the reason the groups are larger with the other two bullets are most likely shooter error.

Im @ 43.5gr Varget in my gasser....should be good. Im getting 2642fp.

Not the best, but Im happy with it.
Untitled_zps83ea4fd2.jpg