• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 battle rifle/pistol??

BAMAboy18

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2020
Getting closer to purchasing an AR10. All the semi battle rifles I've owned (just about every platform in 308, sans the SCAR) I've never owned a AR, but have always been intreaged by the piston POF. Now that they're showing up in stock again I'm getting down to the nitty-gritty. I'd really like the revolution, but in my frugality (and more weight reduction) I may settle for a DI Rogue, but a little concerned I will probably want to upgrade to the adjustable gas system and the trigger. That starts to mitigate cost saving. I was planning on the pistol, but I have to admit I was really disappointed with the velocity drop in my 10" Draco compared to my 20" SKS. Maybe 308 would do better?? From what I've read the 12" POF & the SA Saint Victor still maintained velocities around 2100fps. My primary use would be for +/- 100yd hunting. Would someone care to opine & share advise? I'm also intreaged by the new 6mm ARK, but have never really embraced odd (non-military) calibers, just because surplus fodder is more affordable for practice.

IN!! To hear the answers
I too have been thinking that a lightweight small 308 would be nice.

I run the Revolution rifle and pistol….suppressed for nighttime hog hunting. Both are great rifles, lightweight, and the adjustable gas block makes tuning for suppressor use easy.

They are a bit finicky to break in though and I think I had to burn 80 or so rounds for both to really cycle and eject like I wanted. Some folks have said it takes 150 rounds.

I also picked up a Sig Tread 716i today. I purchased it for a fun range and truck gun to run more generic ammo including fmjs. Build is good quality and reviews are good.
Just need to work in some range time to really see how it performs

Reactions: BAMAboy18
Huh, that's interesting. Depending on what you pay for ammo, that break-in period ammo cost might buy a better gun...

Huh, that's interesting. Depending on what you pay for ammo, that break-in period ammo cost might buy a better gun...
No doubt you can pay more than a Revolution, but at $2500 +/- it's no budget gun!

I've had a couple POFs but never kept them. They shot well but the rail system is a little funky and they just kinda rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. My PWS was my favorite piston if the adjustable gas is your thing. Larue PREDATAR was great but not great enough to keep.

POF Rogue and the Sig Tread are the two I am looking at right now unless I luck into a used LMT or Larue OBR 16".

I also picked up a Sig Tread 716i today. I purchased it for a fun range and truck gun to run more generic ammo including fmjs. Build is good quality and reviews are good.
Replace the trigger in it and you won't be sorry.

Replace the trigger in it and you won't be sorry.

^^^
Lol I just got through with the initial cleaning and was thinking the trigger has a bit of a tug to it. But overall quality is good. No slop.

Have an injury that is keeping me off the range for at least another week or two. But hope to get it properly broken in soon. Since it is billed as a service ready battle rifle my plan is to just load up the 20 round mags with fmjs and go to mag dumping.

I built an 11.5" 308 pistol mostly using parts from vseven weapons systems.

I get 2420fps with 149gr M80, 2340fps with 168 GMM, and 2260fps with 175 GMM. I got hits with it out to 600 yds with a MK5 HD but that was a ridiculous setup. It's got an Aimpoint PRO on it now.

I named it Prometheus because it brings fire to the people. It's kind of a football bat to be honest, but it's a good way to get banned from an indoor range with style points.

I run the Revolution rifle and pistol….suppressed for nighttime hog hunting. Both are great rifles, lightweight, and the adjustable gas block makes tuning for suppressor use easy.

They are a bit finicky to break in though and I think I had to burn 80 or so rounds for both to really cycle and eject like I wanted. Some folks have said it takes 150 rounds.

I’ve been considering one of the sigs. Does anyone know what the diamater of the barrel is at the gasblock? I’ve read the gasblock is pressed on and then pinned. This will make it tougher as it is to swap out to an adjustable if a man wants to suppress it with a standard suppressor. If the barrel od is non standard then it would be impossible. Might have to put in for one of those flow through suppressors.

Pictures of Prometheus in a couple different configurations., before I settled on the aimpoint

IMG_20200201_195301_129.jpg
20200906_174206.jpg

Reactions: buggz
For 100 yards and in I haven't even thought about a 308 gas gun since building the 300blk out. Its an Aero M4E1 build with an 8" barrel. With as little as I spent on it I incorporated a Seekins select adjustable gas block, a Rise 535 trigger, and a Griffin suppressor. The gun makes me look like I'm a much better shooter than I am. I use 19.8 grains of H110 and 110 grain Vmax. As it sits now its like shooting a 22 rifle. There is no recoil or muzzle rise. I actually did a small run and gun course with a friend (him using his little 22 AR) and we were both amazed. Of course some people just want a large frame. I really like the ability to grab my go-to gun and throw two uppers in my backpack and have a specialized gun for anything from CQB/run and gun to 800 yards (6.5 Grendel)

Well in my heart I really want a Revolution pistol, which is pretty hard to find right now. I made the executive decision to go ahead and buy another side of beef before I can't afford it. I'll ponder this some more. I may settle for the Windham Weaponry 7.62x39 SRC and upgrade the firing pin/trigger. IDK, really want a pistol. No doubt I could dispel my AR ignorance and pull off a build, I have friends that build them.

Well in my heart I really want a Revolution pistol, which is pretty hard to find right now. I made the executive decision to go ahead and buy another side of beef before I can't afford it. I'll ponder this some more. I may settle for the Windham Weaponry 7.62x39 SRC and upgrade the firing pin/trigger. IDK, really want a pistol. No doubt I could dispel my AR ignorance and pull off a build, I have friends that build them.
The Revolution Pistol is a legit well made firearm that functions really well suppressed…...subjectively speaking of course😁….one benefit is you can temporarily utilize it as-is while you are waiting Form 1 SBR approval to get rid of the goshawful blade stabilizer. It’s cliche, but get what you really want and “buy once cry once” or you will never really be happy 😃

Reactions: BAMAboy18
The Revolution Pistol is a legit well made firearm that functions really well suppressed…...subjectively speaking of course😁….one benefit is you can temporarily utilize it as-is while you are waiting Form 1 SBR approval to get rid of the goshawful blade stabilizer. It’s cliche, but get what you really want and “buy once cry once” or you will never really be happy 😃
I couldn't agree more! I'm gonna keep an eye out for one, other than GB, might just have to Credova it, I hate useing credit, everything I have is paid for, sans a truck I bought last year, and I'm 3 months ahead on those payments ;)

Last edited:
Another question;
Never liked the idea of DI.
POFs 308 piston system is what 1st attracted me to the AR platform, but it definitely comes at a premium. So as the revolution comes both ways with the DI seemingly more available, what makes it cost so much more than a Rogue? I know it has a different barrel, trigger, gas block and no forward assist.

Another question;
Never liked the idea of DI.
POFs 308 piston system is what 1st attracted me to the AR platform, but it definitely comes at a premium. So as the revolution comes both ways with the DI seemingly more available, what makes it cost so much more than a Rogue? I know it has a different barrel, trigger, gas block and no forward assist.
Adjustable GB vs. standard
Billet receivers vs. forged
15” rail vs. 11” rail
Revolution has some extra machine work and I believe is fully ambi.

My rogue has been a very solid rifle.

For 100 yards and in I haven't even thought about a 308 gas gun since building the 300blk out. Its an Aero M4E1 build with an 8" barrel. With as little as I spent on it I incorporated a Seekins select adjustable gas block, a Rise 535 trigger, and a Griffin suppressor. The gun makes me look like I'm a much better shooter than I am. I use 19.8 grains of H110 and 110 grain Vmax. As it sits now its like shooting a 22 rifle. There is no recoil or muzzle rise. I actually did a small run and gun course with a friend (him using his little 22 AR) and we were both amazed. Of course some people just want a large frame. I really like the ability to grab my go-to gun and throw two uppers in my backpack and have a specialized gun for anything from CQB/run and gun to 800 yards (6.5 Grendel)
What velocity are you getting with H110 with 110 grain bullets out of an 8" barrel?

What velocity are you getting with H110 with 110 grain bullets out of an 8" barrel?

....FWIW, some data from my 10.1" BA that you may find useful. These are fairly conservative charges for MY barrel, goal was functioning, accuracy and brass life, not max FPS. my preference is the TNT 125, very cost effective, accurate in my barrel. The Bergers are nice, but $$$$$.

DO YOUR OWN WORKUP, YMMV.

Bullet/Pwdr/charge/FPS
Speer 110 HotCor/A5774/19g/1930
Nosler 110Vgdon/LilGun/18.8g/2088
Berger 115 Tgt FB/LilGun/20.5g/2201
Speer 125 TNT/LilGun/18g/2115

Reactions: J McGriddle