• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 BCG's DPMS Pattern.....help me decide.

HairyDemon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2013
San Antonio, TX
I am trying to make an educated decision on what BCG to get for my MATEN build, Only think that I find in stock is that I am relatively familiar with is CCMG, Fulton Amory, SI Defense, Black Rain Ordnance, and JP. DPMS proper BCG's are sold out everywhere, and everything else I have never heard of or cant find any solid reviews.

JP and Black rain are way overpriced but if they are quality and to spec I would be willing to pay money. I don't know why this is such an easy choice with an AR but so difficult with an AR 308. Please provide me some feedback so I can get some confidence, I would be willing to pay for a JP low mass setup but I just don't really know if price is worth the gimmick?

Last edited:
Fulton Armory Titan BCGs ARE DPMS through and through from having hands on both side-by-side, so if you find a parked/phosphated BCG from Fulton that meets your budget limits...BUY IT! They generally run ~$10-15 more than the basic DPMS, but they are also generally in stock and ready to roll out the door, so it really isn't all that big a "premium" for nearly instant gratification.

CMMG stuff is generally of good quality as well, but I wouldn't necessarily go putting down top dollar for one of their Mk3 BCGs which are rarely ever in stock and not worth the ~$40 premium over DPMS (roughly that much more...when you can find one, they generally fetch ~$280).

As for JP...it really isn't fair to compare the price of a basic .308 BCG to the likes of the JP Enhanced bolt and low-mass carrier group as they are in a different class. They are worth the money depending on what your ultimate goals for/purposes are with the rifle build in question, but I certainly wouldn't call JP's low-mass OS components a "gimmick" by a long shot. In addition to the JP Low Mass BCG, you'll also need the other JP low mass operating system components which will further up your investment in this project...again, only you can determine the end "value" of the parts. Personally, unless you just REALLY need or just want the advantages the full JP LMOS offers, I'd buy one of the more basic phosphated BCGs and spend the savings on a quality adjustable gas block and other performance/reliability upgrades as needed. I wouldn't PI$$ on the BRO stuff for as much money as they command for them versus countless other options on the market for less money (last I saw anyway...the BRO stuff was running nearly $450 for their NiB BCG and its just not worth that premium).

Fulton Armory Titan BCGs ARE DPMS through and through from having hands on both side-by-side, so if you find a parked/phosphated BCG from Fulton that meets your budget limits...BUY IT! They generally run ~$10-15 more than the basic DPMS, but they are also generally in stock and ready to roll out the door, so it really isn't all that big a "premium" for nearly instant gratification.

CMMG stuff is generally of good quality as well, but I wouldn't necessarily go putting down top dollar for one of their Mk3 BCGs which are rarely ever in stock and not worth the ~$40 premium over DPMS (roughly that much more...when you can find one, they generally fetch ~$280).

As for JP...it really isn't fair to compare the price of a basic .308 BCG to the likes of the JP Enhanced bolt and low-mass carrier group as they are in a different class. They are worth the money depending on what your ultimate goals for/purposes are with the rifle build in question, but I certainly wouldn't call JP's low-mass OS components a "gimmick" by a long shot. In addition to the JP Low Mass BCG, you'll also need the other JP low mass operating system components which will further up your investment in this project...again, only you can determine the end "value" of the parts. Personally, unless you just REALLY need or just want the advantages the full JP LMOS offers, I'd buy one of the more basic phosphated BCGs and spend the savings on a quality adjustable gas block and other performance/reliability upgrades as needed. I wouldn't PI$$ on the BRO stuff for as much money as they command for them versus countless other options on the market for less money (last I saw anyway...the BRO stuff was running nearly $450 for their NiB BCG and its just not worth that premium).

I am very interested in the JP barrel kits, are you required to use their LMOS parts to run them or can I buy a barrel and bolt kit and buy a fulton Armory carrier minus bolt and just run with a standard 308 rifle buffer and spring?

I am very interested in the JP barrel kits, are you required to use their LMOS parts to run them or can I buy a barrel and bolt kit and buy a fulton Armory carrier minus bolt and just run with a standard 308 rifle buffer and spring?

There is no requirement to use the full JP BCG if you run the JP barrel, but you'd be NUTS not to run the matched/headspaced bolt that comes with their barrel. SO...if you snag the JP SM barrel kit, then YES, you can run the enhanced bolt with ANY DPMS-pattern carrier regardless of mfg. (but don't forget, you'll need a BCG completion kit with the firing pin, firing pin retaining pin and cam pin) with a standard weight buffer/recoil spring combo.

You're not required to run the low mass carrier. The only requirement is that the bolt head spaces correctly with the chamber cut into the barrel. I have a rainier arms barrel, jp enhanced bolt and phosphated bolt carrier. All parts were purchased separately, assembled and headspaced correctly. If you can buy a matched barrel and bolt combo you can reduce the anxiety of having to check it (although never a bad idea to verify)
The buffer and spring you run depend on the buffer tube and stock set up you have . You can alter the buffer weight and springs, but messing with it depends on your objectives. There is a lot of tuning ou can do with the JP LMOS, adjustable gas block, springs, buffer weights and ammo load. If your not into that, try to keep everything as simple as possible (there is no mil spec with the 308 however)

Last edited:
I bought the CMMG BCG at roughly 40 bucks more than the DPMS, but only because I had already waited 4 months for the DPMS to come in stock and I had all the other parts and tools assembled needed for the rifle build. Been working great so far, 50 rounds, the ejector spring is a bit too strong, might trim a little, and polish the underside where it rubs against the rounds in the magazine, but other than that, great.

I recently completed a maten build. I used FA carrier(which is identical to my DPMS) and a JP bolt kit. It cost me about $310.

Matt

I went bling on my MATEN and I'm running an adjustable gas block, JP Silent Capture with the lightest blue spring, and a JP low mass BCG with a POF upgraded bolt kit on the JP bolt (Bolt Parts Replacement Kit, P308 - POF-USA).

This set up is absolutely bad ass and was worth the extra coin. Do it right the first time. Lower recoil for sure with the JP system and with the upgraded extractor and extractor spring has eliminated a lot of malfunctions I was having with my gun (I was having failure to eject issues with the stock extractor spring/extractor).

Last one I bought was from Bison Armory but I've Googled them recently and a few places I Googled also carried them.... More likely to find one in stock from an obscure retailer.

Where can I get a Young Manufacturing 308 NM Carrier, I run YM in all my AR-15 systems?

It is my understanding that Young is NOT making their .308 carriers/BCGs at present and have no official timeline as to when, if ever, they'll be producing them again.

If that's an option you really want to throw into the mix, call them at (623) 915-3889 or e-mail them at [email protected] or [email protected] .

If you can't source one from them direct or via any retailers, you might try a WTB on BARFCOM, M4C, etc. and see what you can reel in. They are DAMNED hard to find though and when you do, they'll likely fetch a premium.

I am trying to make an educated decision on what BCG to get for my MATEN build, Only think that I find in stock is that I am relatively familiar with is CCMG, Fulton Amory, SI Defense, Black Rain Ordnance, and JP. DPMS proper BCG's are sold out everywhere, and everything else I have never heard of or cant find any solid reviews.

JP and Black rain are way overpriced but if they are quality and to spec I would be willing to pay money. I don't know why this is such an easy choice with an AR but so difficult with an AR 308. Please provide me some feedback so I can get some confidence, I would be willing to pay for a JP low mass setup but I just don't really know if price is worth the gimmick?

I just picked up a couple DPMS complete LR308 BCGs in Nickel Boron for something like $379 for the pair from Frank Perry at Protection First in Spokane, Wa. He had them advertised on Gunbroker and has a limited supply. They look like nice pieces

I just picked up a couple DPMS complete LR308 BCGs in Nickel Boron for something like $379 for the pair from Frank Perry at Protection First in Spokane, Wa. He had them advertised on Gunbroker and has a limited supply. They look like nice pieces

I am looking for DPMS proper BCGs, dpms only makes their carriers in chrome and parkerized. These are DPMS pattern, but sound like the janky-too good to be true BCG'S I was asking about. Let me know how they work out. Thx for the info.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I am looking for DPMS proper BCGs, dpms only makes their carriers in chrome and parkerized. These are DPMS pattern, but sound like the janky-too good to be true BCG'S I was asking about. Let me know how they work out. Thx for the info.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I have one of those NiB "janky-too good to be true BCG'S"....vendor sucks and I wanted to return but got no reply. It wasn't enough money to be worth the stress and time. It had the typical zip-tie lack of surface finishing...Mr. Dremel squared it away.

Other than that, I have a CMMG MK3 BCG, and I really like that one. I think they are a little pricey, but I do like it better than the straight up DPMS pattern. It appears to be 100% LR308 for spec and function, but the latch cut out for the ejector door is a little different than the DPMS standard. Overall, I have a lot of confidence in it, solid piece of gear.

It is my understanding that Young is NOT making their .308 carriers/BCGs at present and have no official timeline as to when, if ever, they'll be producing them again.

If that's an option you really want to throw into the mix, call them at (623) 915-3889 or e-mail them at [email protected] or [email protected] .

If you can't source one from them direct or via any retailers, you might try a WTB on BARFCOM, M4C, etc. and see what you can reel in. They are DAMNED hard to find though and when you do, they'll likely fetch a premium.

Yep.
I have been on Young's waiting list since September of 2012. I called a few times last year and they were always a "few weeks out."
I have since bought a BCG but am still waiting just to see how long they take.

I wouldn't waste my time trying to hunt one down. There are more good options out there.

Go my response in a email back from Young:

"We will be back in production on these shortly. We should have them sometime next month.

Thanks

Dan"

I replied back and asked if there was any way to get a on a waiting list or some sort of vender notification when they are available. I would LOVE to put one of these carriers in my MATEN build.

Go my response in a email back from Young:

"We will be back in production on these shortly. We should have them sometime next month.

Thanks

Dan"

I replied back and asked if there was any way to get a on a waiting list or some sort of vender notification when they are available. I would LOVE to put one of these carriers in my MATEN build.

With all due respect to Dan/anyone else at Young...I'll believe it when I see it. While they are truly exceptional products based on the ones I have seen, they are like unicorn horns and hen's teeth! ;) There are people who have been waiting on Young for ~2yrs now with nothing to show for it. I hope to hell that they get back on track with these and that they actually start hitting the market again...heaven knows there is ample interest in the market for match quality LR-308 BCGs like what Young has offered on an extremely limited basis in the past!

I've had 2 CMMG's thus far on my LR308. First one had no bolt tension from the gas rings. Actually didn't think anything of it until I had the shop put my barrel nut of and they said dude this is junk.. They took it out and swapped it for another one free of charge. My new one functions and has good bolt tension but the pin literally falls right out if I hold the bolt sideways. Not impressed with CMMG and their BCG for the LR308..

That said they usually make great products and I'm very happy with the LPK in my LR308. Actually a really clean breaking trigger.

If you can, spring for the JP LM BCG.

I know this is an older thread...but did anyone end up getting a BC from young?