• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 Bear

A few friends built these a few years ago. Their empty cases had about the same liquid capacity as the Remington 300 ultra mag. They shot very well, but with a custom barrel, that was expected. I want to say that they had to modify the feed rails in Remington actions in order to get them to feed from the magazine. With the cost of custom dies and Weatherby brass, I was not sold on the concept. What did you want to know about this cartridge? I can get some of their load data, if you are interested. Lightman

Just curious as to what the exact purpose the 308 Baer fills?? The original 340 Weatherby was developed by necking up the 300 Weatherby. Isn't the 30-340 just a 300 Weatherby by another name and a different shoulder??

Again wild-kittens are fun, but usually they serve a useful purpose, this one has me a touch baffled.....seems like a bunch of work for a 2% increase in velocity over the original 300 Weatherby....and when you have rounds like the 300 Dakota, 300 RUM, 300 Norma, 300 Lapua, and the even bigger 30-378, just to name few, well you get the point.

Last edited:
300WM, 30-338LM, 300RUM, 30-378 and the 300 Weatherby, as you mention.

One has a lot of factory options for making 308 bullets fly pretty fast.

Chris