• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Bolt Action Rifle Recommendation

SGTMIKE86

Private
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2023
Miamisburg, OH
Guys,

My budget is $2500 (ish).

Looking for recommendations on a bolt action precision rifle.

I used to be a sniper in the German Military about 10 years ago. Trying to get back into the game. (I live in the US)

Thanks in advance!

Look in the Px here

I think there is a Defiance Tenacity 308 build there

I’d go with one of the many custom short actions available with as heavy of a Bartlien or Krieger barrel as you can stand in an MDT XRS. The American Rifle Company Coup de Grace is the flavor of the month right now it seems, but there are many other good options.

Or if you wanted to save some money for better glass, check out the Aero Solus. This is nice because you can swap barrels yourself when the time comes.

Guys,

My budget is $2500 (ish).

Looking for recommendations on a bolt action precision rifle.

I used to be a sniper in the German Military about 10 years ago. Trying to get back into the game. (I live in the US)

Thanks in advance!

If .308 is what you have your heart set on for around $2,500, you might want to take a look at things like the Seekins Havak HIT Pro, Daniel Defense Delta 5 Pro, MPA BMR Pro etc... Literally a bunch of offerings these days on what is essentially going to be a "production class" rifle. Some places might still give you a veteran discount too if you have any credentials.

Anything against a good semi-auto (legality?)

If $2,500 covers glass too then I'd probably look at something like a Tikka CTR or Bergara HMR and have well over $1K left for decent glass.

If .308 is something that you can be persuaded out of, something like 6.5 Creedmoor is what a lot of guys are getting into. Ammo is available enough now too.

If glass is included in the $2500, I'd strongly suggest you check out the For Sale section here. There are alot of options here where you can get a barreled action in the $1500 range and then have $1000 left over for some decent glass.
Aero Solus $700
Krg Bravo $325
Barrel $250-500
Trigger $150-175
Muzzle Brake $100-150
All of these options are used, but I wouldn't be afraid to start there.
If your budget does does not include glass then you definitely have room to splurge a bit...Get a Coup De Grace or Bighorn Origin action for another $200...could get a nicer Chassis or stock for another $400-500..there are a lot of options on the Buy/Sell section.

Let us know how it works out for you. I ended up getting an AT-X last year, but am still eyeing the possibility of a HIT Pro myself to go along with it.