• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 Bolt Catch Issuee

Eickecc

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2024
Austin Texas
Hi - new to the forum and looking for advice. I have an Aero upper/lower AR10 in 308 and the BCG isn’t traveling far enough back for the bolt catch to engage. I’ve purchased a shorty buffer and am having the same issue. Any advice?

• Lantac BCG
• Lancer Mag
• Geissele Buffer Tube
• Sprinco Spring

It’s the Expo arms shorty 308, see image. There’s also no wear marks indicating the carrier is dragging on the hammer. If I run the BCG into the buffer without the upper receiver it goes back far enough for the catch. If I run it with charging handle it stops short. The weapon cycles fine with this buffer and a regular H2.

Attachments

• IMG_8193.png
    IMG_8193.png
    689.9 KB · Views: 15
What charging handle ? Pics please.
I know it might be silly, but you do have a charging handle for LFAR ? .. right ?

And what specific recoil spring ?

And please measure the internal depth of your buffer tube. And post that depth here.

Last edited:
Here’s the charging handle, but I’ll need to measure the tube depth in a bit.

I’m not sure about the specific spring, but is there a specific print you guys have used for a standard tube for an AR10? I thought everything after the receiver was the same…although at this point I dunno.

I’ll check depth soon. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_8202.jpeg
    IMG_8202.jpeg
    439.5 KB · Views: 11
Did you use an AR-15 carbine length spring or did you use the one specific to AR10s with 7" AR-15 receiver extensions? Is your buffer spring coil binding because it's too long? Can you pull the charging handle back far enough to lock the bolt to the rear?

Also what do s an LFAR charging handle? I feel so dumb…I’ve built 19 AR-15s and can’t do one AR-10.
Large Frame AR... I tend to call them that , since there is no Mil-Spec guide lines for ever manufacturer to follow in 308ish AR's

Hi - new to the forum and looking for advice. I have an Aero upper/lower AR10 in 308 and the BCG isn’t traveling far enough back for the bolt catch to engage. I’ve purchased a shorty buffer and am having the same issue. Any advice?

• Lantac BCG
• Lancer Mag
• Geissele Buffer Tube
• Sprinco Spring
I had the same issue on my 308 ar from rock river. Mine was under gassed, check to make sure your gas block is lined up and you have the right spring for your setup. If you have a rifle buffer it will be a longer spring.