• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Bolt Rifle Package

Denn1911

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2010
MA
www.firstdefensefirearms.com
Hi Group,

I'm new to the tactical bolt action arena and respect the amount of information on this forum. After reading a ton of information, I still have so many questions. While continuing to read and become more educated on this subject, I am seeking some guidance in selecting a rifle that I can grow into. At this point, the longest range available to me is 300 yards.

Rifle preferences: Caliber- .308, 20" or 22" barrel, detachable box magazine and tactical bolt knob. However, I'm open to suggestions.

Is it possible to purchase this type of rifle for under $1,500 either as a build or a complete rifle?

I appreciate any suggestions, opinions and feedback that you may have. Thanks!

Re: .308 Bolt Rifle Package

Stevens action $260.00
B&C Medalist Stock $230.00
Walter Barrel $289.00 (24" with 1/10" twist)
CDI Bottom Metal $210.00
EGW 20MOA base $45.00
TPS rings $70.00
SSS Trigger $90.00
16x Super Sniper $300.00

Total $1494.00 This will be my exact setup once I'm done. Maybe without the CDI bottom metal as that is one mod I don't think I'll ever need.

PM me if you want links to any or all of the items listed.

Good Luck,
Merritt

Hard to beat that idea. Mighty even get a us3ed Stevens a little cheaper or sell off the barrel. Got a SSS trigger a while back to replace accu-trigger - heck of a deal for $90.

I'm a Remington guy, but its hard to argue with a Savage/Stevens when looking for a great rifle at the best price. I have more respect for these fine rifles after seeing how many top competitive shooters use them with good effect.

I appreciate the recommendations and replies so far. I was steering toward a Remington 700 but the Savage was always an option. If I could afford it, I would love a Surgeon Action or other high end action.

After moving some items, I now have a total of $2,000 to spend on the rifle. I realize the scope will be an expense all its own.

With a $2,000 rifle budget, do I now have more variety in my rifle options? Or would the extra cash be more beneficial going toward a quality scope?

Look into the Remington SPS tactical with a 20" barrel. I bought mine new for under $600. Toss the stock and pick up a used PSS stock for about $200 here on the Hide. Throw on rings and base of your choice then an SS in either 10 or 16X and off to the range.

I recently started a remington build converting a 308 vtr into a 260. If it was not for the fact that I reeeeeeeealllly wanted to use an AI stock I would have gone savage. Bebarreling a savage is a bit cheaper as well. It used to be you were hosed if you wanted a mag kit but I no longer believe that is the case.

I do have one thing to add. I had the stock that is shown in the pic above on a savage 223. without bedding it shot little tiny sub .5 moa groups. However, it is heavyand for me a bit of a beast to carry in my hands due to the flat fore end and the balance point, so you may want to look at some of the other models

If you buy a new Remington SPS of some version or another make sure you check it out thoroughly beforehand and know that you will have to change the stock for it to shoot to its' potential. And also remember that you'll spend the equivalent or more than the rifle's cost on scope, rings, base, mags, ammo, bipod, sling, bags, mat, etc.

I've been there. trying to save you some trouble.
laugh.gif

What I did was..

Remington 700 SPS TAC. .308 $710 ($650 + fees)
Bushnell 3200 E TAC. 5-15x Mil-dot $400
Badger Ordnance 1 Piece 20 MOA Rail $120
Badger Ordnance M40A3 .866 rings $210
Harris 6-9" Bi pod $110

Total of $1540.. Ready to go.
Got me a decent base to start up from and I'm a huge Remington supporter as of right now..

Later I plan moving up to a McM A5 stock... Nf Glass... And a match grade barrel.... Maybe Mil spec the action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DAFAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently started a remington build converting a 308 vtr into a 260. If it was not for the fact that I reeeeeeeealllly wanted to use an AI stock I would have gone savage. Bebarreling a savage is a bit cheaper as well. It used to be you were hosed if you wanted a mag kit but I no longer believe that is the case.

I do have one thing to add. I had the stock that is shown in the pic above on a savage 223. without bedding it shot little tiny sub .5 moa groups. However, it is heavyand for me a bit of a beast to carry in my hands due to the flat fore end and the balance point, so you may want to look at some of the other models </div></div>

they are making the AI stock for savage actions now i heard. there is a thread about it with pics

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Denn1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...

After moving some items, I now have a total of $2,000 to spend on the rifle. I realize the scope will be an expense all its own.

With a $2,000 rifle budget, do I now have more variety in my rifle options? Or would the extra cash be more beneficial going toward a quality scope? </div></div>

there are plenty of top shooters with a $2K budget or more who still choose to go with a Savage action. You may switch rifles over time, but if you get a good scope that may be the one thing that stays consistent. Can never go wrong getting a good scope because it can follow you no matter what.

Buy a Savage with the new accustock. Spend the bulk of your money on quality optics, bases and rings... Here is what I put together to shoot SS loads and to hunt with.. Does not shoot like my GAP, but shoot .5-.75 moa groups consistantly. -brandon

2qu53rs.jpg

With 2k to spend, I would suggest not blowing your wad on just the rifle.

A 5k rifle with a $39 scope will shoot like a $39 scope... keep that in mind.

My suggestion would be to buy 2 rifles.

First
Savage Mk II in 22LR, and get an accutrigger model - $300 tops
Put Millet AngleLoc rings on top - $20
Put Tasco 2.5-10x42 Mildot with Target Turrets in the rings - $75

You're 395 into the 2k to start... at the outside, I think I could put this together for a little less, maybe about 350.

Next

Savage Mod 10 with a Choate Tactical stock - ~ 700 tops
EGW base - $40
Burris XTR Rings - $60

You're now only 1200 into that budget, and you still have 800 bucks left for Glass.

Top it with a 3-9 SS or get a Viper FFP PST or some other good piece of optics. Since you're already saying that you realize that the scope is a second expense in and of itself, might I suggest spending an extra bit of cash for a Zeiss, Kahles, NightForce, or something higher end.

You'll now have money to spend on ammo for the 22LR and the 308.

Go shoot the heck out of that 22LR even out to 300y. Take the online training here, read lots, ask questions when you don't understand, and practice shooting that 22 as far as you can reach with it.

I have a $100 Marlin 25N that I got when I was 10 y/o. It has the same rings and scope as I suggested. I was hitting an ISPC standard torso steel target at 400y with it last night in decent winds. Taking my 223 bolt action Savage to the same distance and shooting a 6" plate was a cake walk compared to repeating hits with the 22LR.

I bought the Savage as something for my girlfriend to shoot, I find it to be so much fun at 600y+ that I shoot it a fair bit more than she does. The two things that I can't stress enough are

1) Get a bolt action 22 and practice with it out at 200y+. If you have 300 available, go to it, you'll get a ton more experience shooting at the stretches of a calibers capabilities, than just taking a bigger cal to the same distance.

2) Good glass doesn't go out of style. I have NF's on a few rifles, as tastes change or you want to upgrade the good glass stays with you.

savage 10PC.
has everything you want. 20" barrel, DBM and tacti-cool bolt knob. They are excellent shooters.
FWIW, Choate also makes their new, excellent tactical stock for the savage DBM rifles.

Personally, I would opt for the 10FCP HS precision model. It has a 24" barrel, but it has the DBM and a little more heft than the 10PC. They can usually be had for about 900 bucks, if you go with a falcon menace 4-14 (400) and EGW base and burris XTR rings, you are right at 1500.

check out the FN SPR's they are great shooting rifles out of the box and won't break your budget. Also a thought is Buy a PSS once you blow the barrel or get the extra $ you can have it done up the way you want.

Look at the Tikka T3 Tactical in 308.
Around $1500 with the adj. stock, scope rail, det.mag, heavy bbl, and very accurate.
For a scope try the Sightron SIII tactical for about $700.
Seekins rings for $120.
A good Harris bipod for $100 and use the rest for ammo.