• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 Brass Prep Level

twadsw01

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2010
Durham, NC
I have a lot of 308 brass (Winchester and PMC) that I'm not going to reload, but am thinking about selling. I reload FGMM for my own precision rifle use, so I have everything for fully prepping it.

My question, however, is this: would buyers of brass (specifically 308) generally prefer to do the prep themselves besides cleaning and de-priming so that they can set the shoulder back the right amount, trim the case to their preferred length, set neck tension, etc.?

Re: 308 Brass Prep Level

Good info. Thanks, man. Do you think its worth trying to sell PMC brass? I know some folks will want the Winchester stuff, but I wasn't sure initially whether or not to save the PMC brass.

I could be wrong, but I would have to imagine anyone/everone who buys fired brass is going to FLS it. That said I wouldnt mind the FLS already being done, but its so easy I wouldn't want to pay someone $10-20/hour to do it for me.

Neither Winchester or PMC brass is particularly valuable, but at the right price, it'll sell. I wouldn't mind some to blast through my LR308 carbine.

And another thing. While at thunder valley, a dude gave me 30 or 40 rounds of mixed brass reloaded ammo with Reloder 15 and the 168 amax. I had seen him shoit and trusted him. He said it was charged with 44.5gr. That loading I knew to be safe in my rifle.

Long story short, I was able to consistently get ahold of the 1000yd steel target, and again, there was Remington, winchester and pmc brass in there. Noticed no difference with the pmc.

Wow, maybe I should keep it and reload it myself then. Veering off topic a bit, I have to wonder, at least sometimes, if a lot of the hoops jumped through in the name of "consistency" are of more psychological impact to the shooter than they are to making rounds that'll consistently hit the X.

In other terms, will a marksman shoot better simply from having peace of mind through knowing every single component and dimension of each round was made uniform, to the best of his ability, and less a result of the actual physical uniformity of each round?

Of course I'm not so stupid as to say that uniformity of each round has "nothing", or even "very little", to do with the sum total of "accuracy". But I am suggesting that perhaps, in some cases, it doesn't play as large a part as we sometimes think it does, and takes a back seat to the shooter's frame of mind. Both of these components are of paramount importance to hitting the mark, however.

Depends on what your accuracy standards are though (some people would like to shoot 3" groups at 1kyds, while other would be happy simply hitting a 30"x30" piece of steel and hearing it ring).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For selling the brass, knock out the primers and clean it.
Most who buy it will want to give it their own prep ritual.
SScott </div></div>

Second

Okay, thanks for the feedback on this, guys. I'ma have to get a de-primer that doesn't resize.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: twadsw01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay, thanks for the feedback on this, guys. I'ma have to get a de-primer that doesn't resize.</div></div>

The Lee decapping die is a champ. Military crimped primers, you name it, it'll handle it and it's cheap.

I agree that I'd prefer just cleaned and deprimed in used brass.

Cleaning it would be the only step I would do. Whenever I buy brass I always size it myself. But getting it delivered cleaned is awesome cause it sames me a couple hours if I really want to get loading right out of the gate.