• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 Brass Primer Pockets

1Sam167

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2022
Tennessee
Can anyone explain to me the reason for the difference in these 308 brass primer pockets? They’re both large rifle. But one is flat and the other is somewhat rounded.

Attachments

• 1DD03363-EB69-47CE-906E-503EF45E74A2.jpeg
    1DD03363-EB69-47CE-906E-503EF45E74A2.jpeg
    361.3 KB · Views: 173
  • 9C81C9F0-DC4D-40A5-B4A1-94642547434E.jpeg
    9C81C9F0-DC4D-40A5-B4A1-94642547434E.jpeg
    368.3 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
I've been shooting Federal 308 brass since the 1970's. It has varied in weights over the years and the old brass was quite soft. Having said that, I've NEVER had FC 308 brass not accept a L/R primer. I've used every brand of primers including the Wolf Russian primers that are a bit bigger than the U S primers. I use them when pockets get a little stretched.

The only time primers don't want to fit is because of a crimped in primer. I do use a RCBS primer pocket uniformer on some of my precision loads with FC brass. A primer pocket uniformer only squares the bottom of the primer pocket. It does not make the primer pocket bigger.

Your brass does not look to be primer crimped. And the domed shape at the bottom of the primer pocket can vary from mfg. to mfg. I've had some U S M-80 brass with very domed pockets, but it didn't affect the primer seating or firing of the Cartridge.

You have something else going on here if you can't seat a Winchester L/R primer.

I've been shooting Federal 308 brass since the 1970's. It has varied in weights over the years and the old brass was quite soft. Having said that, I've NEVER had FC 308 brass not accept a L/R primer. I've used every brand of primers including the Wolf Russian primers that are a bit bigger than the U S primers. I use them when pockets get a little stretched.

The only time primers don't want to fit is because of a crimped in primer. I do use a RCBS primer pocket uniformer on some of my precision loads with FC brass. A primer pocket uniformer only squares the bottom of the primer pocket. It does not make the primer pocket bigger.

Your brass does not look to be primer crimped. And the domed shape at the bottom of the primer pocket can vary from mfg. to mfg. I've had some U S M-80 brass with very domed pockets, but it didn't affect the primer seating or firing of the Cartridge.

You have something else going on here if you can't seat a Winchester L/R primer.
Alright, I suppose I’ll just sit them aside. Was just looking through old stash anyways.

If you have a primer pocket reamer for removing military crimps try it. It ain't no good like it is so you got nothin to lose. I bet that'll fix it. Also I have seen some FC brass that was crimped.

Can anyone explain to me the reason for the difference in these 308 brass primer pockets? They’re both large rifle. But one is flat and the other is somewhat rounded.
Is it possible the expander bottomed out and damaged the brass and flash hole. It looks like cracks around an over sized flash hole that appears to be dimpled into the primer pocket.

Is it possible the expander bottomed out and damaged the brass and flash hole. It looks like cracks around an over sized flash hole that appears to be dimpled into the primer pocket.
Nothing has been done to the one with the dome primer besides tumbling. It’s just old factory loaded ammo. My dad doesn’t reload but saves the spent brass and it was some he had for decades. I have Winchester brass the same way.

Something had to get done to get the old primer out.
I take that back. I used a new Lee full sizer on them. Out of curiosity I went back and tested a universal decapper and then the fl sizer. The new fl sizer is causing the issue, I was able to replicate it. Thanks!

The fl sizer decapper looks to be too low

Attachments

• B0266695-69DC-492F-B858-B062103D5BCA.jpeg
    B0266695-69DC-492F-B858-B062103D5BCA.jpeg
    370.3 KB · Views: 33
  • CEAED757-50EF-49E9-B580-812FB136E952.jpeg
    CEAED757-50EF-49E9-B580-812FB136E952.jpeg
    403.6 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: roosterpig
^^ Yup, that is it. ^^, that's the "something else going on". I had to go back and zoom in on the case photos and on the second case I can now see the pocket is convex from something pushing down from inside. supercorndogs caught it.

I'd take the decapping rod out of the die and check to see if it got bent. Lee rods are pretty stout. Other dies have thinner rods and can get bent with that force of bottoming out on the case head. If it did get bent, Lee replacement rods are cheap. They come in caliber sizes because the neck expander is machined into the rod.

Midway has them on sale. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012847262

Last edited:
Just adjust the rod up higher .... only the pi should touch the primer .. the rod or pin holder should never touch the case and be able to bend the rod.