• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

308 Brass

Split26

Private
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2010
Went from a bolt to a DPMS SASS and a Rock River LR308 16". I have the standard RCBS small base die for the 308.I use the small base X die for .223 ( Does it make that big of a difference ?) I have got the brass to seat into the chamber, but it is hard to get out without round down range. Mic checked everything and it is within limits. I have used many types of brass, but I am at a loss at the moment. Any help would be great, or it is back to bolt!

Re: 308 Brass

I reload for both my M1A and DPMS LR-308. I use the RCBS small base sizer die and all of my brass is military once fired (mainly LC-07&09). Two things I've found necessary when loading for these platforms is a case gauge (I use Dillon) and a solid single stage press for sizing. When I've experienced chambering issues it's due to the shoulder not getting set back far enough. My experience with the RCBS small base die is that the very end of the stroke when sizing is absolutely critical.

The instructions tell you to screw in the die with the ram at the top of it's stroke then back off the ram and go another 1/8 to 1/4 turn to achieve the "cam over". This is where the shoulder get's bumped back. In my experience, when set correctly the shell holder is basically touching the bottom of the die at the top of the rams stroke when sizing. You made need to give the handle a little extra right at the bottom just to be sure. This is why I don't size on my Dillon 550.

This weekend I did 100 pieces using a new press for sizing. I forgot to check the first few cases with the gauge, but fortunately did so before reloading. I didn't set the new press and sizing die up correctly so the shoulders didn't get bumped and thus the head of the case was protruding ever so slightly out of the case gauge. Time to re-size and re-trim.
frown.gif

My plain old Lee FL sizing die has been good enough. Never any chambering issues or bad results with a Wilson case length gauge. Have used all manner of commercial and nato brass.

I've used them in 1.631" and 1.633" headspaced M1A's.

I use an RCBS small base die, works fine. I set it up to where the piston contacts it at the very top of the stroke and then give it another 1/4 or so turn. Like the other guy said the last little bit is critical.

Roger, I use an RCBS single stage and the small base die. I ordered the SB-X die and will try that, it cleaned up the 223 problem. I even clean the brass after sizing. I get the same result in my DPMS-SASS and RRA LR-308. Got a gun store owner that has a Dillion 650 set up that he swears by, so I will see if that works till my die comes in. Thanks for the info!