• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 buffer question

Luky

19D20E9
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2012
San Diego, Kalifornia
I am buying parts for my first LR-308 build. Just to confirm, a LR-308 uses a standard AR15 buffer tube? But I need a 308 buffer and buffer spring? I am planning to buy a PRS stock (I like the ones on my AR and 10BA-LE) and so I will be looking for an A2 full length buffer tube /308
buffer+spring...

I also noticed the nickle boron BCG I bought seems much "looser" in fit inside the DPMS upper I have than the fit of the BCG inside my AR upper. Is this typical? I see the rear half of the 308 BCG looks to be the same diameter as the 5.56 BCG so it "floats" inside the upper, but the front part also seems to be looser. Probably normal and just my ignorance showing...

With a Magpul PRS stock being mounted on an LR-308/DPMS pattern .308 semi-auto, you'll need the following components in addition to the correct AR-10/SR-25 model PRS:

1) a Rifle-length receiver extension/buffer tube (as seen here for ex.: DPMS Receiver Extension Buffer Tube AR-15 A1/A2 Stock );

2) a .308 Rifle-length Buffer (as seen here for ex.: DPMS Buffer LR-308 Rifle );

and

3) a .308 rifle-length buffer spring (as seen here for ex.: DPMS Buffer Spring LR-308 Rifle ).

Now, whether you elect to go with the basic DPMS factory components or some of the quality aftermarket parts like one of Slash's heavy buffers, a Tubb flatwire spring, etc., is your call, but the above-cited parts will do the trick.

As for the NiB BCG being "looser"...it shouldn't be too loose but its hard to tell based on your description if its a problem or not. What brand/make/model carrier group did you purchase and from where? It is probably a non-issue, but again...tough to tell just based on your description. A pic or two (or a vid) might be helpful if you are thinking that your BCG is incorrect.

Thanks very much for the links. Added the stuff to my shopping cart... up to $270 now :( ... I think the basic recoil parts will be fine for me. I will be getting an adjustable gas block and that should let me set the recoil appropriately.

As for the BCG, it is a newer company making/selling these so I hesitate to post anything negative as the result of my own ignorance. I think it is probably fine and just my inexperience with the .308 model. The overall machining and finish appear to be excellent. The gas rings on the bolt were somewhat tight fitting into the bolt carrier (compared to an AR15) when I put it back together after a cleaning/oiling but I think it just needs to cycle/break in. It rides back/forth inside the DPMS upper ok (by hand), just rattles more than I expected. Anyone know where I could find a machinists drawing of a .308 BCG? That would let me take a few dimensions across the "contact rails" to see how it compares... I am waiting to get my rifle built so I can post my review...