• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes .308 build, 30 MOA rail, Vortex PST.

Janus4088

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2009
San Jose, CA
I purchased a 30MOA Seekins scope base for my 700 AAC-SD, and I am looking at getting a Vortex PST 6-24x Mil/Mil FFP scope. The scope is listed as having 19 mrad of elevation, assuming 9.5 is split evenly between the up/down, will I have enough elevation to counteract the 30MOA base at 100 yards?

From what I can find, 3.45MOA = 1 Mil. So 30MOA = 8.7 mils, which means at 100 yard zero I will be near my upper limit of elevation, if there isn't much bullet drop...

Is my math correct, or should I cancel this order asap and go for a 20MOA base?

Re: .308 build, 30 MOA rail, Vortex PST.

Personally, I would nix the 30MOA base.

With all of that cant, you'll be in the bottom third or lower of your adjustment, which, among other things will really limit the windage available.

Go with the 20MOA, that'll get you about as far as you can expect to go with the .308. Besides, there are always holdovers.

Run the 30 if you need the elevation. For closer shots, you won't need much windage. By the time you dial for elevation at 5 or 600 yards, you'll be more centered and have more room for windage.

Janus- I personally have the Vortex 5-15x44 (midway special) which also runs 19 MIL adjustment. I have a 40 MOA rail on my 700 (.308) and it works ( I have approx 1 Mil below my 100 yard zero), however this set up is not optimal. Long story short- you're 30 MOA rail *should* work- however it will not be optimal, if you can switch to a 20, that would be better. If it is too late though, don't sweat it.

* Just a side note especially if you stay with the 30 MOA rail- its recommended if you're zero is not in the middle half of your total adjustment range (like in my case), dial up "X" Mils while in storage so that your scope is stored in the middle of it's adjustment range. Ex- like I said mine at 100 yards is -1Mil from bottomed out- for storage I dial up 10 Mils and store it there (I made a little tag on a rubber band that I put on my scope to remind me). This way my scope is stored with the adjustment in the middle of its range- which is better for it than being stored (almost) bottomed out

What ranges do you intend to shoot? With that scope and a 20 mopa base you should be able to dial 1400ish

I have a Remington 700P with the same scope and a Seekins 20MOA rail.

No need for 30MOA......you're bullet will likely run out of gas before you run out of elevation with a 20MOA rail.

Thanks guys, I am going to call tomorrow and get my order switched out. I don't know what I was thinking, I realized right after I hit order.

I don't mean to hijack your thread. I actually have a related question to my Vortex. I have the Viper PST 2.5-10x44 with the EBR-1 MOA reticle. Mine has 86 MOA of vertical and horizontal adjustment.

If my understanding is correct, on a level base that would be 43 MOA both ways. I purchased a 20 MOA base. That would put my vertical travel at 63/23 respectively. At "zero" on the 20 MOA base, would my horizontal still remain the same or is it smaller within this region?

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-2-5-10x44-riflescope-with-ebr-1-moa-reticle

Obviously I am not the one to ask Ghost, hopefully one of the veterans will chime in to help you out. If not, I would make a thread just for it. And you can always try the shout box.

I called SWFA to switch it to the 20MOA base, which they would do, but it wasn't in stock, and the 30MOA was packaged ready to ship out, so I stayed with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Janus408</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Obviously I am not the one to ask Ghost, hopefully one of the veterans will chime in to help you out. If not, I would make a thread just for it. And you can always try the shout box.

I called SWFA to switch it to the 20MOA base, which they would do, but it wasn't in stock, and the 30MOA was packaged ready to ship out, so I stayed with it. </div></div>

Yea, seeing if anybody else was still chiming in. Best of luck with the 30MOA base.