• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 bullets too short

1jonathan1994

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2018
Laurel, MS
I've been using speer 125 tnt on 308 ar10 for a while and like it. Just loading to 2.7 coal.
Turns out I can drop a bullet in the chamber and put an empty brass behind it, close the bolt, and the bullet rattles around.
What is the bad of this. I'm guessing gas and powder blow by the bullet before it reaches the throat.
18" jp and 2A arms barrels.
43 gr xterminator is 2700fps for 3 gun load.
47.7 gr H4895 is 3050 fps for critters. Can go about 3150 before pressure signs with the gas cut off in 70f weather.

When I tried 178 eldx I couldn't even reach book max and factory ammo showed pressure signs.

Loaded 125s in 300wm with RL19 no where near the lands, prairie dogs didn't like it.
I'd try 155s or 168s but if 125s work for your application, then they work.

Maybe you’re over gassed if factory ammo shows pressure signs.

As far as 125’s being too short, whether it’s bad or not in terms of gas blow by depends on the accuracy. If it is satisfactory then don’t worry bout it.

What pressure signs?
I have a Rem 700 .308 that has primer flow with factory ammo, the firing pin hole is sloppy and makes it resemble a pressure issue.
More than one thread about primer flow with non high pressure bolts in large frame AR's on here.

A good article about pressure signs-

have a Rem 700 .308 that has primer flow with factory ammo, the firing pin hole is sloppy and makes it resemble a pressure issue.
More than one thread about primer flow with non high pressure bolts in large frame

My "high-pressure" bolt from Toolcraft was very sloppy on the tolerances and would crater/pierce primers from factory ammo. Switched to a JP bolt, and the problem disappeared. Mine's a 6.5 creed, but the principle is the same

OP here
The 125s are better than 2 inch groups at 100 yds in mixed brass and full progressive loading.
Close to 1 inch with good brass and electric powder trickler.
I'm satisfied.

JP bolt and Hornaday 178eldx ammo had primer flow and stiff charging handle pull in 95 to 100F temps..with the gas turned off. Not overgassed.
Ar10 with the gas off will be nearly impossible to pull the charging handle if too much pressure

I'm guessing that the long jump and possibly gas blowing by the 125 gr bullets let me load way above book max with no pressure problems.

Multiple manufacturers have factory loadings in 125gr..308.
For short range & reduced recoil, light bullet weight would be beneficial for 3gun as the op's intended use.
I know that but I’m just saying for .308 Winchester, it seems short.

Screenshot_20210106-084701_Gallery.jpg

Don't load them if you are worried sell them to me I am running low only 10,500 left.... I will buy them at 2019 sale pricing with free shipping.

Nice stash! The 125's are perfect with mitigating recoil and muzzle jump in M14 and '06 Garand loads for 200yd Offhand and Rapids. I would imagine the run-n-gun shooters benefit even more so.
FRIJdNdl.jpg
They are my go to practice round for anything inside 400
Positional or groups. My load isn't great but I load it on a progressive so its fast.
Just enough recoil and noise that it keeps you honest