• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 case trimmer

rickp

Sergeant
Minuteman
what's a economical 308 case trimmer. I had a Giraud but sold it when I got rid of my other reloading stuff thinking I wouldn't use it again. I'm planning on getting another but not right now. I just spent a butt load on other stuff so we must wait. So in the mean time I need something temporary.

Thanks
R.

Re: 308 case trimmer

Lee, cheap, simple, pretty fast with the power adapter and a drill. Haven't used the Possum, looks interesting.

Before upgrading to a Gracey I used the Forster 3-in-1 for 223 with a wired drill. Worked well but the T-handle used to clamp the brass in wears on your hands if you are trying to get through a lot of brass. Trim length consistency was excellent, however.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adam3999</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Before upgrading to a Gracey I used the Forster 3-in-1 for 223 with a wired drill.</div></div>

How easily can you switch the Gracey between different cartrides?

What's really more important is what is MY trim length for the weapon in question, so it really doesn't matter what trimmer people use as long as its adjustable for cutting length. Sinclair sells a plug the tells people what there trim length is, they cost so little and are easy to set up and use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuiggyB</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adam3999</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Before upgrading to a Gracey I used the Forster 3-in-1 for 223 with a wired drill.</div></div>

How easily can you switch the Gracey between different cartrides?</div></div>

Pretty easy--it takes about 5 minutes of tinkering. The threaded, caliber-specific collar comes in/out quickly. My Philips locking screw is getting stripped out from repeated uses, however. Perhaps I'll swap it out to a bolt or Allen screw similar to this gentleman (image courtesy of a CalGunner):

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd107/jandmtv/DSC01417.jpg

The real problem I have with my Gracey is +/- 0.005" inconsistent trim length due to variations in the cases I feed it. Since it headspaces off of the shoulder, it's best to size like-headstamp lots of brass that have been all sized the same. The amount of pressure I use to insert the case into the collar affects the trim length, especially if brass chips start clogging up the collar.

It's fast and easy, but I'm interested in trying a Dillon RT1200 in the future. Coupled with a progressive press I'm thinking I can speed up my plinking ammo production.