• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Case with a .223 bullet

popeyecop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
Chester, Illinois
A friend of mine gave me 5 rounds of .308 with .223 rounds loaded in them, there is some sort of spacer to fill the gap. Just wondering if anyone has heard of this before. They are green tipped and look like a 62gn bullett but caint be sure unless i pull it and weigh it.

Re: .308 Case with a .223 bullet

Sounds like the Accelerator round. Already been talked to death a few times on this site. Marginally effective attempt to get blazing speed out of a .22 caliber jacketed bullet. Made in .308, .30-'06 and .30-30 chamberings.

Accuracy is generally marginal, unacceptable for match, and maybe also for varmint applications. If you want to smack the sh*t out of something relatively close, it works; but further out it'll probably going to miss.

It looks simple, but just about everything contained in that case is a special purpose, one-off, proprietary component, and is not duplicable by any known combination of standard handloading components.

Have fun, then be prepared to get over it and back to the real world asap. Won't hurt your gun, and that's about the only real good news about it.

Greg

Remington never loaded green tip in the accelerator line. SP only. I would be willing to bet it's someones attempt to load sabots which they bought on Ebay. I would set them aside to look at or destroy them. As Greg pointed out there is no real way to load these outside of a factory that is safe and will give good results. You could buy the sabots seperately from lots of places a while back.

I bought some years ago and tried the load data for a 30/06 and 55 grain bullets. I was never able to get any accuracy at all and could barely beat 110gr .30 cal velocity.

TJR

I thought Remington sold the sabots and published load data for them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought Remington sold the sabots and published load data for them. </div></div>

Since at least the late '70s, as I recall.