• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 308 Chamber Reamer

ChanceDoane

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 8, 2020
Southwest VA
What 308 Chamber reamer do you like best for shooting 175 sierra matchkings? I have seen so many 308 reamer prints i dont know what neck and freebore to go with? Im looking for a reamer if you have one for sale

thanks Chance

95 Palma has always been good to me, and I'm still shooting 175 and 168 Matchkings in a 20" 308.

I have 2. One is set for 155gr, one is 175. No idea which one is "best". Ring up Dave Manson and tell him the crazy bearded Aussie sent you. He will sort you out. He does all my reamer now. Top guy.

You need to work out which 175s you want. Don't forget everyone's new fav, the 178s from Hornady. It's a jungle out there.

A very crude search got me to the wiki page

0.3433" neck diameter, so the difference is basically irrelevant, as for throat depth, I currently get given a non-live round, and told "throat it to this". So I often throat itmiht anyway. Ring Dave Manson. He is much more knowledgeable about reamer than me. He has made.... 5(?) Custom wildcat reamer for me so far, and all have been good. By good I mean "info I gave and resultningot back was better than I expected, and the new designed cartridge shoots half MOA, which is as good as I can shoot".

For those who are super fussy, just get a 308 saami or one set for no freebore, or short as possible, and also get a throat reamer. Simple.

I swear most people over think these issues.

Im not over thinking just dont want a long throat for heavy stuff. I like zero freebore on about everything i just figured the folks here could tell me what they like the best in a 308 reamer. I have two reamers on the way. One is a Moon Roberts spec reamer and the other a bore rider throat.