• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 coal?

silentnswift

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2012
Kentucky
I loaded up 10 rounds, after ladder test and my best attempt at finding the max oal. I've used this exact load before with no issues. Out of 10, 3 of the rounds are a b. to chamber. I've checked the length, case diameter, checked for bulges. I even checked the neck. The rounds will chamber but I have to shove the bolt pretty damn hard. I measure off the ogive. It's 2.806 to the meplate. Any ideas of things to check?

Just for clarification. After reading through the stickys on loading for lr precision. I was running through checking everything. Sized a piece of brass, making sure I was bumping the shoulder. Chambered said brass. Seated a bullet long to measure chamber, via the cleaning rod method. Then reseating bullet to measurement. The new dummy round wouldn't chamber. So I check my handloads and a few of them wouldn't chamber.

What kinda brass? New once fired? If once fired was through a MG? Might need a SB die if that's the case.

Sorry, remington 700 sps. Stock barrel. Using 168 gr. a-max, rcbs nl sizing die

Last edited:
Are you sure you are getting 2.806 for the ogive that is awful long considering the maxing OAL for 308 win. is 2.810

no. the oal length is 2.806. I didn't have the comparator with me, and couldn't remember off the top of my head. now that im home the ogive is 2.175" sorry for the confusion. it almost has to be something with the caseings as all the bullets are seated within .002 of each other.

I am assuming that you bumped the shoulders back on the brass when you resized.

If you have a head space gauge check your brass. Also necks on the brass may be to long if you did not trim them.

I FL size my .308 brass to 1.6185" using case headspace gauge then trim to 2.005" then load 175smk to 2.2250" ogive.

I haven't sized anymore brass, went back to work today. I will try again Saturday, I have a case headspace gauge ordered from sinclairs. I use lee case length trimmers so all my brass is the same length. I had my sizing die set up to where it just touched the shoulder, so I'm thinking maybe I wasn't getting a full stroke every now and then, therefore not pushing the shoulders back enough.