• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 308 did it again! Mulie buck down!

Wyzrd

Harder than a coffin nail
Minuteman
  • Feb 13, 2017
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    Alright, after 2 long days of humping around and hiking in some of the most formidable and steep country I've ever hunted, I was successful in harvesting a decent mulie buck. He's not the monster we all dream of, but I am happy with him! Definitely not a gimme hunt and I had to bust my ass to get this critter. Hunted in the beautiful mountains of WY by Laramie Peak area in between Wheatland and Laramie. Weather was about 35 in the mornings and warmed up to 60 during the days. Wind was atrocious at a steady 25 mph with regular gusting winds of up to 50mph each day! Rifle used was a Savage 10 in a Manners T6A stock, Hellfire brake, Atlas bipod, Cronus BTR 4.5-29 for glass (fucked around and slippedwhile packing the deer out and accidentally dropped it off a rock cliff and landed right on the elevation turret...going back in to Athlon for repair) and was shooting factory Barnes 150 gr TTSX. Wasn't a very long shot compared to lots of guys here, but it was at 440 yards shooting uphill in crazy winds (meter read 32mph when I shot). Dropped him in his tracks with a spine shot that exited in between some rib bones. He never even twitched afterwards. Got him quartered and processed yesterday. Venison chili with chug water chili seasoning! Yummy! Anyways, hopefully these pics work... just got a new iPhone and still trying to figure this out...

Attachments

• photo76087.jpg
      photo76087.jpg
      49.7 KB · Views: 27
    Well done Sir , oh I mean medium rare ! .
    I will also be using my 308WIN NOV. 4-8 and hope to do as well as you !
    Best of luck with the scope ! , I hope they take care of you .

Nice bick. Whitetail season here opens weekend after next.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Well done Sir , oh I mean medium rare ! .
    I will also be using my 308WIN NOV. 4-8 and hope to do as well as you !
    Best of luck with the scope ! , I hope they take care of you .

Thanks! Fortunately Athlon has great customer service and an amesome warranty dept (2nd time dealing with them) so I know it'll be taken care of. Best of luck on your hunt sir! Hopefully you get a monster!

Congrats A 308 and Barnes bullets will defiantly get it done. Good shooting in poor conditions.

Congrats A 308 and Barnes bullets will defiantly get it done. Good shooting in poor conditions.

Thank you sir! Yeah, this is my second buck that I've taken with that 150gr TTSX and the performance on impact and amount of damage done is impressive to say the least. I've also had great results with the HSM ammo loaded with the 168gr Berger hunting VLD's. I was originally going to use some 175gr match ammo, just because it is the most accurate out of my rifle, but I was getting some blown primers and sticky/stuck bolt during my last range trip before my hunt. So, I decided on the Barnes as i got decent accuracy with it too. It was unfortunate I wasn't able to use my favorite and most accurate rounds during the hunt, but it all worked out in the end!

As for the conditions I was hunting in, I made it a point to go out and practice as much as I could in these wicked winds we have here in WY. It definitely helped a lot and gave me the confidence I needed to make that shot in those wind conditions. Practice payed off for me!

Nice bick. Whitetail season here opens weekend after next.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thank you sir! As much as I love hunting whitetail deer, there's something about a mulie buck for me... In the areas that I've hunted so far, they are like freaking ghosts! I'll spot a good one and start stalking it, and by the time I get to a spot where I think it is, it's already on the opposite mountain! Even when I do everything right (staying downwind from them, going slow and quiet, out of sight, etc.), they always sense that something isn't right and they're gone! With that said though, going after mulies is probably my favorite game animal to hunt. I'm hoping next year to go after some whitetail up in the northeastern part of WY. Anyways, thanks again bud and good luck with your hunt!

That is a nice buck Wyzrd. Whaddya mean not a monster? IMG_20161211_155636978.jpg

Here's another one that I'm 99% sure is still on the hoof.

Attachments

• IMG_20161129_170444396.jpg
      IMG_20161129_170444396.jpg
      75.8 KB · Views: 22
    Last edited:
    I've been seeing a good number of Lunkers this season as well. I went out to scout for another disabled vet hunt yesterday for a couple hours and saw a HUGE buck. If we can get a set on him tomorrow someone will go home a happy man. He was a heavy set 6x with thick brow tines. I didn't have a rifle with me but gave serious thought to taking a shot at him with the .44 magnum.....LMAO. Up here they are still following does a little bit and seem to be hanging in small groups with a few does. We spotted one on the road the other day that was an easy Boone and Crocket. We stopped to gawk a little and let him be. I won't get to hunt one for myself for a while still but I'm keeping an eye out for a decent buck for myself. My mountain is a nursery for Muleys I never see any big bucks up here but we are inundated with does and yearling bucks. They are like rats up here.

I've been seeing a good number of Lunkers this season as well. I went out to scout for another disabled vet hunt yesterday for a couple hours and saw a HUGE buck. If we can get a set on him tomorrow someone will go home a happy man. He was a heavy set 6x with thick brow tines. I didn't have a rifle with me but gave serious thought to taking a shot at him with the .44 magnum.....LMAO. Up here they are still following does a little bit and seem to be hanging in small groups with a few does. We spotted one on the road the other day that was an easy Boone and Crocket. We stopped to gawk a little and let him be. I won't get to hunt one for myself for a while still but I'm keeping an eye out for a decent buck for myself. My mountain is a nursery for Muleys I never see any big bucks up here but we are inundated with does and yearling bucks. They are like rats up here.

White tail or muley? Saw big versions of both in your area.

All mulies. I don't see too many big white tails near me. Over by choteau there are a bunch of big white tails. THere is on farm in particular that leaves corn in the field of them every season. They don't hunt or allow hunting. I've driven past and seen 100 or more in one field. Just laughing at us from the other side of the fence.