• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 die question

ScottWatkins

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2011
Oxford, MS
I am gonna reload .308 for my bolt gun, starting with new Lapua brass.
I was looking at the Lee collet dies but I'm not sure. I'll only size the necks. Are all the dies I need in this set? Looking at the Lee website, it's confusing.
Or, do I need different dies all together?
Thanks,
Scott.

Re: .308 die question

I started with Lee dies and had good results. I eventually switched to Redding and never looked back. You are going to need a 3 die set regardless, FL sizing will eventually be necessary.

Many people swear by the lee collet die. Regardless, as mentioned, you'll need to FLS sooner orlater (probably sooner). Id recommend one of the Forster bump dies, which bumps th e shoulder back just a little for nice easy chambering.

the problem with NS only is your gonna have to FL at some time, then your load/groups/speeds will change until the next time you fire the case NS, Just buy yourself a quaility FL die from Forster or Redding, set that die up with a Headspace Gauge to only bump the shoulder no more than .0015, anything you think your losing by FL will be off set big time by consistent brass, brass that always feeds, and reatable results on target, this ain't a BR forum, I would hate to get eaten by Zombies because my ammo would'nt feed or eject due to NS.

My collet set had all the dies you would need, the Collet-neck die, Fl sizing die and the seating die.

What you are looking for is Lee's Delux set,it includes the collet neck sizer with an FL and seater. And a shell holder too.