• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.308 DPMS Barrel Profiles

m1a convert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2003
Idaho Falls
I am trying to build an all around gun and I have a DPMS .308 with an 18" barrel and an IOR 2.5-10X42 scope on it. V-Tac forearm so it is free floating. It weighs 12 lbs unloaded. I would like to lighten it up and the barrel seems the easy target. I would like to go to 800 with it so I am thinking of chopping to 16" (Let me know if that wouldn't get there)

Also, how heavy of a profile do I need to have to do this?
Does anyone have a chart for .308 barrels showing different weights for different profiles?

Re: .308 DPMS Barrel Profiles

What is the current barrel profile? Personally I'd keep it at 18 inches and just change to a thinner profile barrel.

2" isnt gonna save you much. and thats really pretty good for weight. i think the lightest was about 10 and it was a DPMS AP4 iicr

I was mainly thinking the weight reduction would be from re-profiling the barrel.

Also, the current barrel IS fluted already so that helps some.

may not be able to easily turn down a fluted bbl, im not sure. someone with a lathe will chime in. but you could look for a used bbl or new bbl or blank or try a bbl maker or shop that will turn what you want. look at ... i cant say it. there are a few places that can make what you want.

DPMS makes a lightweight barrel like this but for the .308 and .260 that may be cheaper/easier than turning down your current setup.

DPMS Lightweight Barrel