• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report .308 effective hunting range

elarteperfecto

Private
Minuteman
May 17, 2011
Argentina
Hello, I live in Argentina, and I like long range shooting hunting. I have a .308 rifle; what do you think would be the longest range on an axis deer game for this caliber, and the same question on a hog? What kind of bullets would be suitable for this kind of hunting (The only brands available are Hornady and Sierra, I would prefer 165 grains or heavier)
Does anyone know why match bullets are not recomended for hunting?
Thanks in advance

Hornady 165 SST, GMX, 168 Amax, 178 Amax, 180 SST
Sierra 165 SBT GK, 180 SBT GK

Match bullets are not recommended because sometimes they expand, sometimes they do not. Match bullets are designed specifically for accuracy, not best terminal ballistics (controlled expansion, weight retention, etc.) However, put bullet in right spot and I doubt animal will be walking very far.

Any of these bullets should work fine on axis deer or hogs.

I'd say you are limited by distance at which you can reliably place bullet into kill zone of animal.

Any of the bullets listed above will work fine. May I also suggest the Sierra Match King, in either 168 or 175 if you have the twist. The argument against hunting with match bullets is a weak one, and if you'd like page after page of evidence, I can provide links. The 168 and 178 Hornady Amax are also fantastic, as is the whole family of interlock bullets. I am curious what bullets you have available to you there, if any of the ones mentioned here in this thread, I'd suggest you give them a try. I have used the 175 Sierra match king on Elk, very comparable to your Argentine Stag's. I have had outstanding results out to beyond 500yds, so I see no reason why this, or any other of these bullets wouldn't work perfectly for you. Good luck!

Coldbore

I've always wondered about the SMK for hunting. If the links are not too much trouble I will study them. Thanks.

A 22LR can take a lion, if you put it in exactly the right spot, but...
I've hunted smks and they do indeed kill. That said, a purpose-built bullet will give you a bit more forgiveness on placement.
I've taken more than a few hogs and other game with 168 amax, easily one of my favorites from a 308.
Range is much more a function of shooter than anything else.

Last edited:
elarteperfector, he are the facts regarding hunting with match bullets:

- The debate over match bullets for hunting has been going on this site (and elsewhere) for a long time
- Some have had great luck, some have had poor luck
- You won't convince either side to change their stance unless their experience changes
- Not all match bullets are the same, not all hunting bullets are the same...not all of my statements are profound

You'll have to decide the max range for yourself. What terrain are you hunting? Do you need the animal to drop on impact or can you get away with watching it run off for a .25 mile with no blood trail? What's your preferred shot (double-lung, high-shoulder, etc) and skill level? How bad will you feel if you wound your target?

While bullets are certainly a concern, your rifle /scope combo along with your long range shooting skills will make more of a difference than the style of bullets. Any bullet has to be placed in the right spot regardless of design to kill effectively. If your rig cannot place the bullets where they belong all other concerns are mute.
I am making no inference as to your shooting ability, but you asked a question that indicates you haven't shot a lot of long range before. I know everyone must start somewhere but starting the distance game on real game needs to be the last place you start.
Shooting at long range is a hoot and I am sure you will enjoy it. I am throwing no stones here, just giving you food for thought.

Bill

While bullets are certainly a concern, your rifle /scope combo along with your long range shooting skills will make more of a difference than the style of bullets. Any bullet has to be placed in the right spot regardless of design to kill effectively. If your rig cannot place the bullets where they belong all other concerns are mute.
I am making no inference as to your shooting ability, but you asked a question that indicates you haven't shot a lot of long range before. I know everyone must start somewhere but starting the distance game on real game needs to be the last place you start.
Shooting at long range is a hoot and I am sure you will enjoy it. I am throwing no stones here, just giving you food for thought.

Bill

Well said Bill.

That being said don't hesitate to use a SMK or AMax for hunting. There is no replacement for placement.

Hornady 165 SST, GMX, 168 Amax, 178 Amax, 180 SST
Sierra 165 SBT GK, 180 SBT GK

Match bullets are not recommended because sometimes they expand, sometimes they do not. Match bullets are designed specifically for accuracy, not best terminal ballistics (controlled expansion, weight retention, etc.) However, put bullet in right spot and I doubt animal will be walking very far.

Any of these bullets should work fine on axis deer or hogs.

I'd say you are limited by distance at which you can reliably place bullet into kill zone of animal.

+1 on all the bullets above. I've had excellent luck with the amax.

As for range, if you are using elevation adjustment turrets, I would say 750 yrd or some 700m give or take. If you are using a duplex hunting scope, I would say 400 yrd or some 360m.

I will say I will never use smks again for hunting. The ones I killed the bullets didmt do very well looking at them. Even through they were drt I think the shock killed them. Didn't look too forgiving. I have no problem with the amax though. My new choices are amax, accubond, and swift sirracco

Good luck sir