• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 308 Factory Ammo for mulies?

mik233

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2017
OREGON
I normally run a 300wm for deer & elk but I'm letting a family member use that gun this year, and I recently picked up a rem 700 in 308 that i plan on using for this mule deer hunt in about a month. I wont have my reloading stuff set up until after this hunt so i will be resorting to factory ammo on this trip.
Ive never hunted with a 308 before so I have no clue on what ammo is good nor bad.
Anyone have any good suggestions on a good factory hunting round?
i will obviously be testing these for what has the best accuracy but would like to get some suggestions.

The rifle seems to shoot 150, and 168gr pills with good accuracy. (sub moa) but those are with "match" loads.
All shots will be under 550 yards, and honestly closer to 300 if i can make it work.
I have heard that the new ELDX, Berger VLD, and nosler AB are good rounds but ive never tested them and ive searched online with minimal luck.

I have some smaller shops, and two big chain stores close by so im able to find a decent amount of factory ammo, but Im completely unsure on what to use with 308.
Normally i run a barnes triple shock in my 300wm but have seen some bad reports on longer range shots with 308

FGMM, hornady AMAX or the new ones from hornady if they are accurate. Any of them will drop a mulie. Shot my first with an SST.

Id try the Nosler 165gr Accubond, the Hornady 178gr ELD-X, and a box of HSM 168gr Berger Hunting VLD's.

Don't overlook Nosler Ballistic Tips for a 308 . They are very explosive on game at magnum velocities but work great on deer at 308 speed .

My 20" Bergara HMR 308 really likes the factory Nosler 165 Accubonds. Just got home from the range and it's shooting them 1/2" at 100 yds. Velocity averaged 2681 fps over 19 rounds measured. My rifle seems to be really picky on ammo. HSM 168 VLD shot about 3" at 100 yds. 178 ELDx was about 1.5" @ 100 yds. The 165 Nosler ammo is the only factory load I've found that will shoot reasonably well out of my gun.

Hornady Black 155 amax . Shoots bug holes out of three different rifles and flat out kills deer.

i have had good results withe the hornady eldx. Match ammo accurate, good BC if you are going to take a longer shot, and they seem to open up very good. Shot a coyote with one, and had a few nice exit hole.

Hornady 165 grain Superformance SST is what I've been killing stuff with lately and I have to say this far I have not been disappointed. Subject to change though ha ha

I've had good luck using Hornady 150 gr SST, Barnes TTSX 150 & 168 gr, Hornady 165 Interbond, and HSM Berger hunting vld 168 gr. I wouldn't hesitate to use any of these again on deer or elk. Just have to find what your rifle likes the best... Good luck.

Off the shelf the Hornady superformance SST or GMX have always done the trick. Good penetration, not a big hole. If you rifle is finicky for ammo, the 150 Hornady American Whitetail uses match brass and a old school interlock flat base bullet. If the rifle can not shoot this with at least moa, then throw it away.