• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report .308 Federal 168gr Gold Medal or 150gr NBT?

Highground

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2008
Michigan
I have a local source for Federal .308 ammo. They have 150gr. TRU Nosler Ballistic Tip in stock. I can get 168.gr Gold Medal Sierra MK for the same price, however they recently sold out and have some on order(so Ireserved a case). For a Rem 700 5R Milspec, should I hold my breath and wait for the 168gr. or jump on the 150 gr?

I know what to expect with the 168, but how well will the 150gr. TRU shoot?

Re: .308 Federal 168gr Gold Medal or 150gr NBT?

I would wait, unless shooting under 500 yds.

A lot depends on your rifle, the twist rate, length of barrel.
All things being equal the 168 will outperform the 150 for distance.

The 150 is fine for general shoot shit work, but you really need to step up in weight to the 168s or 175s the reach past 500 yards consistantly.

The sierra match king bullet has been used in more rifles intended for long range work then any other i would think.

Most shooters I know use the 168 or 175 almost excluseively for long range work.

That being said, there is the whole other world of 155 scenars we wont get into for this question.

Stick with the heavier bullets, you will be smiling more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Highground</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a local source for Federal .308 ammo. They have 150gr. TRU Nosler Ballistic Tip in stock. I can get 168.gr Gold Medal Sierra MK for the same price, however they recently sold out and have some on order(so Ireserved a case). For a Rem 700 5R Milspec, should I hold my breath and wait for the 168gr. or jump on the 150 gr?

I know what to expect with the 168, but how well will the 150gr. TRU shoot?</div></div>

Since just about any rifle today that's not broken will always shoot a bullet in the direction it's pointed, accuracy is about properly pointing the rifle and pulling the trigger without disturbing aim.

Having said that, since a bullet is not a laser, that's to say, in flight, it's effected by gravity, drag, wind, and more, a bullet with a high BC may get to a greater distance nose-on than a less efficient bullet. So, if LR is what you're getting into, keep that in mind.

I will also use whichever round for occasional hunting.

Sorry, I should have included these parameters in my original question.

If reloading is an option the 165 BalTip is a good replacement for the 168 match out to 600 yards. Much better terminal ballistics.

Not sure if you got this worked out or not. But www.Ammoman.com just got some 168fgmm in. I think they were $30 for box of 20 or $599 for case of 500 delivered

Already sold out. must have been 2.5 hours