• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 First gun joys and woes...Opinion needed

Strive4More

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2011
Crestview, FL
Alright so here's the situation Im in. Im heading back from Iraq in a few weeks (cheers!) and Ive been piecing together a .308 bolt gun and mostly from the FOR SALE section and recommendations Ive seen throughout the threads (been reading everyday for about 5 months). Gun will be used for hunting and my first forays into the precision/ tactical shooting field. So far my build is looking like this

B&C A2 Tactical Stock
Bushnell GAP HDMR *GB*!!!
Harris bipod
RAD TAC DBM Bottom Metal

At this point Im ready for a barrel and action. Im really wanting a Templar/ Bartlein combo from GAP (damn you Ken and your sales-fu!).18" 5R 1:10 Palma contour. I dont have a problem paying for quality. I just wanna be putting lead downrange and improving my marksmanship and getting "used" to the .308 in the 4-8 months the build will take.

Im bout ready to pick up a new SPS Tactical and transplant it into my setup. Is this the route to go? Would not having it bedded/ skimmed mess with me too much? Is it worth the money at all? Im not really wanting to drop $500-800 on something thats a filler till I can get the Templar. I bring this before the all powerful thread Gods and seek your wisdom (or wise ass comments). Whichever comes first.

Re: .308 First gun joys and woes...Opinion needed

That tactical A2 stock is a heavy beast.

I recommend either the light tactical or the M40 style. Especially since you listed "hunting".

Is the templar a 700 footprint?

You do not "need" to skim bed your 700 action, it would benefit somewhat, but then you would have the pain in the ass of removing the bedding compound to use the stock for your Templar.

Standard 1-12" twist SPS tact or a sps varmint will serve you fine until your barreled action is done. About 540 bucks for either one.

Buy an SPS, have the trigger adjusted by a professional. Drop the SPS in your stock and shoot the crap out of it till the GAP is ready.
Send your stock to GAP for bedding when the metal work is complete on your new barreled action(they will not mark it GAP unless they bed it).
Keep a good round count and sell the SPS with the factory stock when your GAP gets back to you.
Spend that money on ammo or a reloading set-up.

FD: Thanks! That was what I was thinking in reference to having to have it removed once he stock goes to GAP for fitting the action and bedding and cerekote/ hydrodrip treatment. Im just wanting to build something that I can plan on keeping around for awhile.

Moments after posting this I happened to mention to another 'Hide member that Im picking a X3 LoDrag off of, that all Im missing is a barreled action and he said he may know a guy who has a SPS barreled action "laying around." He's gonna see if the guy still has it.

If so I may have to start planning a second "extra" build so I can get someone else started in this sport and have someone to shoot with...anyways thats a ways away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strive4More</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im bout ready to pick up a new SPS Tactical and transplant it into my setup. Is this the route to go? Would not having it bedded/ skimmed mess with me too much? Is it worth the money at all?</div></div>

100_4272.jpg

This is an SPS-V .308 in a B&C Light Tactical stock. It has beaten out much more expensive rigs in competition. It isn't bedded, but it is consistently a sub-MOA rifle. It's still light enough to hunt with if I wanted to. It has been to several sniper schools and many stalks. It was my duty rifle until I got the AE MkII.

Gotta say most of the guys bouncin round this thread are pretty good bout helpin new guys out and spreadin their experience. Most of em are just happy to see the next generation get interested and get out shooting. Way I figure it, the bigger the demographic the more companies will R&D and put out newer and better products (and maybe lower prices while theyre at it!)

If anyone knows of a SPS Barreled action taking up room in a buddies safe just let me know!

LoneWolf: That stick is a beauty! That is a Hell of a piece of glass sittin up top
smile.gif
One question for ya about your stock/ bipod. Does that stock also come with 2 front sling studs and if so, how you setup the bipod/ sling ect? Ive heard problems with the second stud getting in the way of the Harris

The SN-3 has always impressed me with it's construction. It ain't a lightweight though.

Yes, the B&C Light Tactical and the M40 style have two studs. They are far enough apart that I can still remove/install the sling without the bipod getting in the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SN-3 has always impressed me with it's construction. It ain't a lightweight though.

</div></div>

It aint cheap either
laugh.gif

Its only 2oz heavier than a NF

Buy the SPS, punt the hogue and put it in an HS or BC stock with a bedding block. You can usually find those used on here. I wouldnt worry about bottom metal just yet either. I have a 20" SPS and i think its a great BA to play with, YMMV.

I am in the process of my first custom BA and i couldnt have done it without the experience i learned behind my SPS - you have to really know what you want to justify going custom, IMHO.

Good luck getting home and thanks for your service.

Oh you can also usually find a tuned trigger on here as well - shouldnt cost you more than 45 bones.

UGGGHH just found out the SPS barreled action was traded for an AR. Now Im in the same boat of lucking into one in the FOR SALE threads or buying a complete gun...damnit.

Anybody know another place that sells barreled actions? Im not looking for anything custom just a 20" barrel and action to shoot till my GAP is complete.

...LoneWolf I think Ive been bit by the SN-3 bug. Gonna have to start saving to upgrade to one after a year or two. Are you sure you dont work for US Optics?
smile.gif

WOOHOO! Officially a "hot" topic on my first thread! Now if one of these viewers can point me in the direction of a barreled action I'd be set. Any takers?

Ended up picking up a Remington 20" LTR barreled action from a guy here on the 'Hide.Fluted barrel, 1:12, ect. All thats left is getting that new HDMR from George at GAP when theyre ready to ship! Decided I'll stick to Remington setup for a bit and build a whole new second rifle with the Templar setup once Ive shot a bit and know what I really want..... Thats a good enough justification to build a second rifle aint it lol?

Anyone have a suggestion for ammo for a setup like this? Im guess 168 or 175 SMKs but just wondering is anyone has one and has already done some of the buy and check already. $2300~ish on my first precision rifle hurts enough as it is...