• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 fl sizing question.

kevinkd65

Private
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2023
Ontario, canada
New members so not sure where to post this. Been reloading over 40 years and I have a new precision 308 that id like to load for.

My question is to the precision reloaders, normally you will fl size for 2 thou shoulder bump after fire forming, then use a mandrel to open it back up to what you would like. From my understanding this is due to a normal fl die expander ball pulling the shoulder back up if used in the conventional manner.

Can I use 1 fl die (with no expander ) to bump the 2 thou needed, and then a second fl die with expander ball like a mandrel and open up the neck (push down just enough to open neck ie ball goes down neck and stops once inside case, not actually size brass again?

Thanks for any and all answers in advance.

Hurry, get this out of here and in the Reloading Depot where you can get real advice. Posting any real thread in the bear pit is not only asking for the worst most dangerous advice ever, its asking to be...... well, just get it out of here.

• Haha
Reactions: 101st
There's really good information in the reloading section.
The Pit is more of a bullshit slinging section. Disregard any information response here.

Reactions: 101st
Yup wrong section,

For what it’s worth I use a Redding body die/Lee collet combo for my 308’s

Hurry, get this out of here and in the Reloading Depot where you can get real advice. Posting any real thread in the bear pit is not only asking for the worst most dangerous advice ever, its asking to be...... well, just get it out of here.
Well the new member instructions said to post in here if not 100% sure of where to post and an admin would move it if needed. Not sure how to move myself and I don't want to double post. Tks

Just get the Sinclair mandrel and set neck tension simply and repeatably.

Or keep doing whatever you want to do. You're only wrong if the whole gun explodes.

If you're only bumping her 2 thou.....
Will she even notice ?

Someone bring in the human jackhammer and show this newb WTF the wench is craving.

Well the new member instructions said to post in here if not 100% sure of where to post and an admin would move it if needed. Not sure how to move myself and I don't want to double post. Tks
You can delete this thread because you started it. Then start another one in the reloading section

Apparently we have a troll in the new member instructions… because that is some funny stuff right there.

It’s like sending people to the Blue Oyster Bar of the Internet!!

And we know how that ends!

Sirhr

Last edited: