• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 Garand Question

Rookie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2004
D/FW
Looking at Garand for sale in 308. Does it require mild loads in order to not bend op rod like the 30.06 does?

I've owned a .308 M1 Garand for several years. I wanted to be able to shoot commercial ammunition if GI ball was not available. I installed a Garand Gear gas plug, shot Winchester, Federal and Remington 150g .308 Winchester ammunition and have not noticed any unusual op rod wear. Even with the Garand Gear gas plug, I won't shoot any projectiles heavier than 168g in my reloads.

Reactions: Rookie
I have two .308 Garands, they are fine as long as you leave Elmer fucking Fudd's reloads at home. Stick with 150-168 gr projectiles and commercial ammo. Every failure I've seen over the years is from shitty reloads, heavy bullets and poorly sized cases. GI brass has thicker webbing at the heal and is tougher brass overall, I've always thought softer commercial brass seems to stick to the chamber longer and cause more problems.

Reactions: Rookie
Hmmmm, my .02 worth if you stick with powders between IMR-3031 and 4320 using 125/175gn bullets you can’t stuff enough powder it the 7.62/.308 case.

Looking at Garand for sale in 308. Does it require mild loads in order to not bend op rod like the 30.06 does?
The 30-06 garand doesn't require "mild" loads it requires proper lubrication.

Should not really require “mild loads“, but should use not too fast burn rate powders. And an adjustable gas plug can help out. But yes, you do still have the potential to bend the op rod if using hot loads or fast burn rate powders.
No...fast burn rate powders aren't a problem...slow ones aren't really an issue either

I've owned a .308 M1 Garand for several years. I wanted to be able to shoot commercial ammunition if GI ball was not available. I installed a Garand Gear gas plug, shot Winchester, Federal and Remington 150g .308 Winchester ammunition and have not noticed any unusual op rod wear. Even with the Garand Gear gas plug, I won't shoot any projectiles heavier than 168g in my reloads.

Those aren't needed and basically a waste of money.

I've had one since around 1987. I shoot the same load out of it as my M1-A. It's lugged but I don't think that makes a difference.
101_0006.JPG
101_0007.JPG

If you do decide to reload for a M1 Garand, I suggest picking up a small base sizing die.

Even if the rounds were fired in the same M1 Garand for which you are reloading, at times brass resized with a standard sizing die will not allow the bolt to go into full battery. A small base sizing die eliminates this problem. If it won't drop into a case gauge with ease, I won't reload the brass.

Good point 1588. I use small base dies for the AR10,AR15,M1A,M1G and Scar 17s. They all feed with out issues. I do run a slightly lite load on the M1A using 175 Nosler CC at IMR 4064 it pretty accurate and cycles fine. On the M1G I shoot 150 or 155's and keep the pressures down as it is 1944 Springfield.

Even if the rounds were fired in the same M1 Garand for which you are reloading, at times brass resized with a standard sizing die will not allow the bolt to go into full battery. A small base sizing die eliminates this problem. If it won't drop into a case gauge with ease, I won't reload the brass.
30+ years loading for garands.

Never needed a SB die.

In a krieger match barrel sure.

Garands...no way not needed.

On the M1G I shoot 150 or 155's and keep the pressures down as it is 1944 Springfield.
As long as your chamber pressure is under 60k and the port pressure under 12k you're fine.

I find 168/175 match bullets are much more accurate than 150s.