• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Gas Gun load with 175's - Powder Question

Danco411

Arclight Precision
Minuteman
I have an exceptional load for my bolt gun using Power Pro 2000MR I have been shooting for awhile. My supply of PP is gone and now I can't find it anywhere. I guess the cat is out of the bag. DOH!

Anyway I scored 8lbs of both CFE223 and AR Comp. I read that CFE is very close to Power Pro coming out of the St. Marks. Some say it is not the same powder but the load data is nearly identical. I assembled another Mega Maten with an 18" barrel that needs feeding. Anyone have experience/loads with CFE or AR Comp in the shorter barreled gas guns? My old load for the AR10was 45g of either Varget or RE15 but I can't find that shit anywhere. Looking at the 175 SMK in Lake City cases with CCI200 primers.

Thoughts? Loads?

Mucho Gracias!

With cfe223 Id start around 44gr and work up from there. No experience with ar-comp though I do have some on the shelf.

Now that Varget is almost nonexistant, I've decided to give IMR 4064 a try. I haven't had a chance to actually try it out yet, but that is my plan right now.

Back in my Highpower days, I shot a donkey load if IMR 4895 out of the M1A. That is a great 308 powder. Accurate with good velocity. Nowadays you run what you can find, J

Currently for my 18.5" barreled .308 AR I'm using H4895 with a 175 SMK and getting 2570 FPS with solid .75 MOA performance. I also tried 4064 and had good accuracy results but was unhappy with the extreme spread. It was early on in my experience of handloading, so my practices may have also been "off". Could never get 8208 XBR to cycle the rifle. I'm happy with the performance of H4895 and sticking with it.

Great results with H4895 and 8208 XBR, but found that with the 8208 I would need to turn the gas block down as it would over-gas the rifle (even with a heavy tungsten X3 buffer).

I usually just use 42.2g of 4895 with bullets at 2.840 OAL- shoots 1/2 MOA. On the 8208, I could never find a happy length that worked with the magazine length and gave good accuracy, but did figure out if you have it at 2.866 (thats ON the lands of my AR) with 39.1g of 8208, (you must feed one at a time obviously) it would shoot 1/4 MOA @ 200 yards and carry on, yet at 100 yards it was 1 MOA.
*Winchester brass, SMK 175g HPBT*

Oddly enough, the 8208 works great in the bolt action 7-08 savage that I had with 139g Hornady BTSP's.