• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.308 Gas Gun loads

rtr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2008
Colorado
Can anyone share load data they have used for .308 gas guns? Looking to work up a load for my incoming PredatAR 762 18".

I have some LC cases, Varget, Benchmark, 155gr Palma Sierras (2156) and Privi Partizan 145gr. Looking for a very accurate load with the Sierras and a 1MOA or so load with the Prvis.

Re: .308 Gas Gun loads

The PRVI's are MAYBE a 1.25 MOA bullet from a 1/2moa or better platform, so that alone I wouldn't suggest you spend too much time doing load development.

Varget is a good powder but it can be somewhat problematic in the gas guns due to burn rate and pressure curve. I've worked with it on my dad's 308, I found much better cycling and equal or better repeatability from using IMR4064 instead. Speeds were almost identical, the rifle just handled the little bit faster 4064 better than the Varget.

Similar behavior was found when I was loading for my LR-260, the slightly faster H4350 and Varget worked better than the higher MV powders like H414 and H4831sc.

Try 44-45 grains varget in LC brass for either bullet, 2.74-75 for the 145's and 2.80-2.82 for the sierras. If using lightweight brass maybe step it up to 46 for the sierras. I wouldn't expect very good accuracy out of PRVI 145's.

Different gas gun but my .308 Garand load is 44 grains of Varget, 150 SMK, WLR primer and LC brass, runs 2800 fps.