• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 308 Gas gun LPVO vs 3-18 type

GUNNER10

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2005
Va
I have been going back and forth on optics, more specifically what I would like to drop on my SR25 ACC.

I really like the Votex 1-10
I also really like the mk5/mk6 3-18 with offset RMR

I have a trijicon 1-8 and a mk6 3-18 on some other rifles so

I think that both would be a great general purpose optic for Virginia, and as soon as I am about to pull the trigger on the 1-10, I think, well that Mk5 has a better recticle for longer ranges and I can get more out of the rifle at range vs the 1-10.

The weight between the two set ups should be around 6 or 8 oz so thats not really going to make or brake anything based on how its going to be used.

While the answer is always, It depends, It would be interesting to hear anybodies thoughts on the a similar decision and why one was choose vs the other because I can make valid arguments for both

Thanks

Last edited:
I keep my LPVOs on my 5.56 gun and my AR10 is a DMR with a medium range optic up to 20X...

Vortex 1-10X is interesting but I always keep wanting a little more when I am shooting a .308 semi auto...I find that 15Xish is the sweet spot...

Reactions: Itsadryheat
I recently had the same decision. I think it really comes down to your likely use.

I’m also in VA. My primary hunting rifle is a bolt action .308 with a 1.5-6 x42 on it. The longest shot in the field I have ever taken on it is 125yds, at the range 400 as that was the limit of the range. There just aren’t longer shots needed in the woods of appalachian hills, at least where I hunt. I very rarely use past 2x hunting, usually it’s at 1.5.

So when I was recently looking at a scope for my LMT .308 I was about to pull the trigger on the NF NX8 2.5-20 due to the low end plus upper range. I kept holding off because I really wanted lower power on the bottom with the FFP. Then vortex came out with the 1-10x24. I went that route because of the versatility and the true 1X.

Unless your doing long range target shooting the 10X is going to get you out to the useful range of the .308, well in my opinion anyway. The only thing that I would like different on the 1-10 would be a larger objective for light gathering in low light conditions. It does great for what it is, I had it out testing it last night (not on gun yet), but it would be that much better at say 32 instead of 24 etc. I’m not complaining as it does have good low light capability from playing with it, but we all think “this would be even better if XXX”.

A 1-8 / 10 will do everything you need for a 0-800 with that rifle. Its a LW battle rifle for putting rounds on target. I would rather put an RDS on it then a higher mag optic. For the APR or longer barrel more precision rifle, a 3-15 does just fine.

The way I had my 308s setup...

13.5 LMT MWS. Aimpoint M4s
16 KAC ACC. Mk8 CQBSS H27D
16 KAC APC. Various 3-15/18s with offset RDS.

If I would only have one, it would be the ACC with a 1-6/8/10 LPV optic. It does everything you want or need for a 16" 308. From CQB to 700 (what I took mine out to).

Reactions: Hatari
This, as outlined above by "jwknutson17"

A 10x will ensure hits on steel at 900-1100 yards all day long.

Once upon a time, a 4x on a 30 cal DMR was perfectly adequate to 575-600 yards...

Think magnification vs field of view, and pick the best option for you.

I still think a 2.5-10 is one of the best choice for a 16” 308 gasser. Much more eye forgiving than the LPVOs, much brighter at the top end. I wish Leupold would have upgraded their MK4 2.5-8 with better Mil/mil locking turrets and modern reticle - it was a nice lightweight offering.

I ended up with both, a 3-15 and a 1-8 on two large frame ARs.

I have a CQBSS on my SR25 and based on how I use shoot it (0-800 for the most part) on IPSC sized targets) it works really well. Glass is great and the weight isn’t totally unmanageable when shooting closer in at 1x on multiple targets. When shooting at distance on 8x, the target is easily resolvable even at a grand (I occasionally take it that far).

I recently had the same decision. I think it really comes down to your likely use.

I’m also in VA. My primary hunting rifle is a bolt action .308 with a 1.5-6 x42 on it. The longest shot in the field I have ever taken on it is 125yds, at the range 400 as that was the limit of the range. There just aren’t longer shots needed in the woods of appalachian hills, at least where I hunt. I very rarely use past 2x hunting, usually it’s at 1.5.

So when I was recently looking at a scope for my LMT .308 I was about to pull the trigger on the NF NX8 2.5-20 due to the low end plus upper range. I kept holding off because I really wanted lower power on the bottom with the FFP. Then vortex came out with the 1-10x24. I went that route because of the versatility and the true 1X.

Unless your doing long range target shooting the 10X is going to get you out to the useful range of the .308, well in my opinion anyway. The only thing that I would like different on the 1-10 would be a larger objective for light gathering in low light conditions. It does great for what it is, I had it out testing it last night (not on gun yet), but it would be that much better at say 32 instead of 24 etc. I’m not complaining as it does have good low light capability from playing with it, but we all think “this would be even better if XXX”.

I do agree that that for its intended purposes, shooting steel out to 800 or I don't really need more magnification, and looking at the recticle, it seems that it is more usable than my Trijicon 1-8 when it comes to shooting groups,

I guess my thoughts are give similar weights,

How effective is an offset RMR at 1X Vs Something like the Vortex 1-10 at short range stuff.

I ended up with both, a 3-15 and a 1-8 on two large frame ARs.

Most likely that may be the route I take, I also have a 13.5 LMT MWS with the Standard weight SS Barrel, and that has a 1-8 on it at the moment.

With that being said, are you more drawn towards the 3-15 or the 1-8? Obviously different tools and such but still curious

Most likely that may be the route I take, I also have a 13.5 LMT MWS with the Standard weight SS Barrel, and that has a 1-8 on it at the moment.

With that being said, are you more drawn towards the 3-15 or the 1-8? Obviously different tools and such but still curious

For the way I play the game, I like the 3-24. That AR is in 6.5, and I tend to push it to longer distances, 800 and above. The 1-8 VCOG is on a .308, and I see it is my mid-range AR, 100 - 600/700.

If you are going to bang steel at the longer distances, you are going to want the extra mag.

For the way I play the game, I like the 3-24. That AR is in 6.5, and I tend to push it to longer distances, 800 and above. The 1-8 VCOG is on a .308, and I see it is my mid-range AR, 100 - 600/700.

If you are going to bang steel at the longer distances, you are going to want the extra mag.

Yeah, I agree, and with everything it all depends on use.

The thing I like about the 3-18 class optics with offset is the recticles, so if I do flex the rifle into taking longer shots, It has a recticle that excells in that role what as most 1-10's are function, at that role

Realize this, if you get the Vortex 1-10 you'll probably wish you got the 3.6-18 and if you get the Leupold 3.6-18 you'll wish you got the Vortex. For large frame AR's intended for greater than 800 yards I like the long range optic with an offset RDS, the reason, 98% of the time it will be used to shoot at distance and the RDS is for up close security but will not be used much.

Are you set on the Leupold? I've had the Leupold Mark 5 and thought it was nice, but even better is the Kahles K318i and I like the SKMR3 reticle much better than what Leupold has to offer. But the Kahles is $1000 more you say, well maybe if you buy new, but used the K318i can usually be had for around $2300 or less sometimes which puts it much closer to the Leupold but offers better glass and a more standard 34mm tube. I am however a big fan of Leupold's 10.5 mil turrets on the Mark 5.

Leupold_Mark5_3.6-18x44_003.jpg

Leupold_Mark5_vs_Kahles_K318i_003.jpg

LR_AR-6.5_Build_068.jpg

Realize this, if you get the Vortex 1-10 you'll probably wish you got the 3.6-18 and if you get the Leupold 3.6-18 you'll wish you got the Vortex. For large frame AR's intended for greater than 800 yards I like the long range optic with an offset RDS, the reason, 98% of the time it will be used to shoot at distance and the RDS is for up close security but will not be used much.

Are you set on the Leupold? I've had the Leupold Mark 5 and thought it was nice, but even better is the Kahles K318i and I like the SKMR3 reticle much better than what Leupold has to offer. But the Kahles is $1000 more you say, well maybe if you buy new, but used the K318i can usually be had for around $2300 or less sometimes which puts it much closer to the Leupold but offers better glass and a more standard 34mm tube. I am however a big fan of Leupold's 10.5 mil turrets on the Mark 5.

View attachment 7329913

View attachment 7329916

View attachment 7329920
The Kahles looks really slick and as a lefty I like the ability to get the windage dial on the correct side. Is it just me or is it really heavy for a scope its size? (Yes, yes, do I even lift?)

I just picked up my new REC10 today, have the Razor 1-10 mounted on it and really like the balance. Wont get to shoot it for a few days though, but really impressed with the optic so far. Rifle feels great as well.

I put a Athlon 3-15 on mine, works great out to 1000

Of my 3 large frame AR’s this is how they are equipped.

LMT MWS- more of a precision rifle. It generally wears a 24”6.5 Creedmoor barrel but sometimes a 20” 308. I have a Burris XTR-II with the Horus 591 reticle. I’ve been using this in PRS type matches the past two years

SR-25 ECC has a Leupold CQBSS 1.1-8 H27D. This is my DMR type blaster and have ran this in a fewPRS matches and other matches. 0-600 yards are easy for this combo. I’ve shot past 800 yards but my success rate goes down. I need to learn to call wind better.

LMT/KAC MWSR-25. It’s a MARS-H lower with an ACC upper running a Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9. Love the rifle tolerate the glass. Ineeded something when I put this one together and threw this on. I really want to upgrade this to something like a 1-6 or 1-10 Vortex or the1-6 Leupold. This is my blaster 308 I don’t mind running cheap surplus ammo through just to have fun. A lot of the time it’s dialed down to 3-5 power with the red dot on and I run it like a heavy carbine.
I would say be honest with your expectations and use of the rifle and go from there!

View attachment 7329913

View attachment 7329916

View attachment 7329920

Definitely not locked into Leupold but the weight, reviews, Mil discount make it quite appealing. I also like the NF 4-16 ATACR, I used to have a few NSX's until I moved into leupolds.

As for the Khales, I hear nothing but good things, I would like to check one out one day

Never had a

Definitely not locked into Leupold but the weight, reviews, Mil discount make it quite appealing. I also like the NF 4-16 ATACR, I used to have a few NSX's until I moved into leupolds.

As for the Khales, I hear nothing but good things, I would like to check one out one day

Never had a
If you like the reticles the weight is definitely a plus. Still waiting for Leupold to come out with a decent tree reticle that doesn't look like a Horus.

I have a 1-8 ATACR and a 5-20 S&B Ultrashort that I swap back and forth on a SR25 ACC. It wears the 5-20 S&B most often. I can hit full size IPSC's at 800yds with the ATACR all day long and so can newbies that have not shot before. With the 5-20, 1,000yd shots are more likely to get a hit over the 1-8.

Having that extra zoom and light gathering is a biggie for the AR10's. You could always split the difference like one poster above said, get a good quality 2.5-10 scope like the Nightforce NXS. You might not be clearing houses with it but you will shave a decent amount of weight over a 34mm german scope.

Reactions: Itsadryheat
What do you do most with your rifle ? Trijicon 1-8 on the "lightweight" walk around .308, Sig Tango 6 3-18 on the big fuck off bench .308.
There's an offset Holosun, but the location is a bit shit, right against the bell on the Sig. Have to play peek a boo under the windage knob-Still, I guess it would work if somehow SHTF while I'm enjoying a pleasant day at the range...

IMG_7637.jpg

IMG_7641.JPG

16268508-6CF6-475E-BCA4-120812B258D4.jpeg
06BE59C6-48F6-4CE9-8987-686C8368877D.jpeg
DF1946A5-B502-4902-BC02-46B56C1C4D9A.jpeg

Here is my two large frame 308s. 20” proof has a ZCO420 MPTC2 which I could not be happier with. And just an eotech on my 14.5” so far. I’m banging my head against a wall trying to decide which lpvo to put on my 14.5”. I would love an s&b short dot dual cc with mdr t6 reticle. Im curious to see what march comes out with for reticles on their new 1-10 shorty. https://marchscopes.com/news/3798/

Last edited:
Reactions: CSTactical