• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 guru's

oneshotkyle

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2011
central oregon
brand new 700 varmint in 308
aics 2.0
seekins 20 moa base
seekins 1" low rings
leupold 4.5-14 cds

brand new lapua brass
lapua 155g bullets seated to 2.890 oal( just enough to clear mag)
min suggested is 44g and max is 47g of varget
i started at 45.5g just to load clean,load clean first 10rnds.
velocities were 11fps spread and compressed.

is it common to be compressed at 45.5g?

Re: 308 guru's

I loaded 155 Scenar with 45.5 gr of Varget at COL 2.800" and never has any problem with it. The 155 is very long bullet almost the same length as 175 SMK,so I think it's ok for it to be compress at 45.5 gr.

well cool then. i loaded up more rounds at that charge and length and im heading out to shoot at distance tomorrow. ive never reloaded compressed charges till now and i was concerned. absolutely no pressure signs but i kept second guessing myself. velocities were 2850 avgerage and i am happy with that. after getting scope adjusted it was clover leafed at 100yds

Mine don't start compressing until 46.2 gr (but I run 47.8 gr) both in Win Brass. Lapua should be 47.4-5 so you should start getting compressed at 45.8-ish.

After the first firing, the case has more capacity as it swells to fit the chamber.

If you settle the powder, either by drop tube or vibrating the cases, you will fit much more powder before getting compression.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jmtyndall</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you settle the powder, either by drop tube or vibrating the cases, you will fit much more powder before getting compression. </div></div>

i bought one of these and it helps

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/293879/forster-blue-ribbon-powder-funnel-with-long-drop-tube

you can also pour the powder very slowly with a regular funnel

cool. i got a 3" drop tube on mine and i'll have to try one of them longer ones. wouldn't mine adding to this load a little, but time will tell

Don't sweat compressed loads with varget. It's a powder that often performs better when there is less space in the case.

Had a record holding Palma Shooter tell me one day at the range that it's almost impossible to get too much varget in a .308 case, that is assuming you are allowing sufficient jump.

jump is about .040 still thanks to remingtons long throat. i may try some cfe powder just to try something else.
anyone with cfe223 and 155g bullet first hand experience. im interested. thanks

No problem when compressing Varget, BUT if you prefer not to compress, try H4895. It meters/trickles much smoother. I haven't shot any 155s thru my 700 SPS V, but I've thought about it. I have great success with 168 SMKs with 42.5gr of Varget.

i just loaded up some 155 scenars using CFE223 tonight. hogdon minimum is 49.5 to 51.0 max. i loaded 50.0/ 50.2/ 50.4/ 50.6/ 50.8 and 51.0 to try out. they are all compressed in my new lapua brass also. advertised velocity with max loads with CFE223 are about 50fps faster than varget's max loads. does anyone here have a comparison to that? i also loaded up a fired case and a new one just to visually see the powder depth difference and its noticably lower in fired casing. so i just need to find a fireforming load that is consitant and shoot up the rest of the new lapua brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshotkyle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is it common to be compressed at 45.5g? </div></div>Yes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshotkyle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">brand new 700 varmint in 308
aics 2.0
seekins 20 moa base
seekins 1" low rings
leupold 4.5-14 cds

brand new lapua brass
lapua 155g bullets seated to 2.890 oal( just enough to clear mag)
min suggested is 44g and max is 47g of varget
i started at 45.5g just to load clean,load clean first 10rnds.
velocities were 11fps spread and compressed.

is it common to be compressed at 45.5g? </div></div>
Why people insist on using Varget for every .308Win load without considering efficiency is beyond me. Most .30 cal. bullets in the .308Win case will be better served by using a powder other than Varget. There are much more efficient powders for this combination. If you feel you need an "Extreme" family powder H4895 will give you over 100fps higher velocity without going compressed and is also minimally affected by temperature.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshotkyle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i just loaded up some 155 scenars using CFE223 tonight. hogdon minimum is 49.5 to 51.0 max. i loaded 50.0/ 50.2/ 50.4/ 50.6/ 50.8 and 51.0 to try out. they are all compressed in my new lapua brass also. advertised velocity with max loads with CFE223 are about 50fps faster than varget's max loads. does anyone here have a comparison to that? i also loaded up a fired case and a new one just to visually see the powder depth difference and its noticably lower in fired casing. so i just need to find a fireforming load that is consitant and shoot up the rest of the new lapua brass. </div></div>

If you are seeing that much of a change in case capacity you should probably buy a headspace gauge to be sure you do not oversize your brass. Hornady has a good inexpensive tool to measure your headspace and it can also be used for measuring bullet ogive height.

HTH!

Varget loves to be compressed. I dont think I have shot a Varget load that wasn't compressed in a long time..

dont get me wrong varget shot a nice group, but being compressed sure put seating rings around my bullet tips. and i would love to get them 155's up at around 2900fps or faster. i just happened to have a new 8lb jug of CFE223 to try and there is not much info on it with 155's. everyone likes to shoot the heavier bullets it seems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshotkyle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dont get me wrong varget shot a nice group, but being compressed sure put seating rings around my bullet tips. and i would love to get them 155's up at around 2900fps or faster. i just happened to have a new 8lb jug of CFE223 to try and there is not much info on it with 155's. everyone likes to shoot the heavier bullets it seems. </div></div>

I was going to suggest IMR4895 or BL-C2 should get you to 2,900fps or very close anyway out of your Remington 26" factory barrel. If you set you barrel back and had it chambered properly I think you would easily see 2,900+ fps with BL-C2 or IMR4895.

Please keep us posted on your experience with CFE223 and keep temperature data too. I'm pretty interested in CFE223 and almost bought a jug of it to play with a few weeks ago but came across a good deal on some RL17 which works pretty well for the 175gr and heavier .30 cal bullets I like in my 5R milspec.

HTH!

today cfe223 was tested through my chrony and velocities were 150-200fps faster than my tests with varget. same new brass same bullets same oal just using cfe223. outside temp was 67-69deg.
my best groups were 1 1/2 at 100yds.lol. velocities were 3000-3060 depending on charges. i ran from 49.8-51.0 in .2 increments. never found a sweet spot, and i had a few groups with 10fps spead too.

my twist may not like the velocity
155 scenars don't like pushed this fast
heck i don't know. i am gonna try some sierra palma 155's and berger 155.5 fullbore's at this point. 155g is were i wanna be and would like to have around 3000fps still. i know 155 scenars and varget produced.400moa at 2850fps.

also in my late night reading lapua bullets will seat further into the casing creating less case capacity than sierra and berger. if this is true i should still have more room for powder using them hoping for a little more umph.....

any thoughts or suggestions?

at this point 155 scenars and 45.5g varget have shot 1/2moa consistently at 2850fps. today i went and shot 155 palmas and 155.5 berger fullbores. i loaded varget at 46g/46.5g/47g all at an overall length of 2.870. palmas seemed to shoot well at 46g which showed 2780fps, and the bergers started to shine at 47g with 2910fps. i am gonna try both of them at higher charges since i have seen no signs of pressue with my rifle. i am expecting the bergers to like that since they tightened up at the highest charge i had. and at 100yd the bergers were 1moa higher which will be a good help downrange.

maybe i might just try some h4895 also

If you want those higher velocities I would try some 8208 with the 155 palma's or bergers. it will get you up there, just watch for pressure signs. I would also suggest that you perform a ladder test to tune you ammunition to your rifle. Start 5 or so grains below your max and work up in 1/2 grain increments and you should be able to see where the rifle wants to shoot, it may not be 3000fps but it will be accurate which is pretty important also. that extra 150fps will get you about 9" less drop and 2" less drift at 600yds but it doesn't me much if they will not group well.

Good luck man, finding that perfect combination is 1/2 the fun.

I would fixed with varget due to lower in SD and do not temperature sensitive.

It work best in medium bullet weight like 168-185 gr.

It may not suitable for the heavier bullet due to the case capacity of .308 win. You may change to faster burn rate powder for heavier bullet.