• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 hand load for FN SPR

viz

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2008
I have been hand loading for a .308 FN SPR 1:12 twist.The load I'm using is once fired Lapua brass,168 gr. Hornady A-Max bullet,46 grains of Varget and CCI BR primers.I don't think the bullet is stabilizing through the air because the hole that it's creating is slightly large looking compared to factory match Hornady 168 gr. loads which shoots 1/2 MOA groups often.The hand load does shoot well groups though.I have tried many hand loads through this gun including 168 gr. Sierra bullets and IMR 4064 powder. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: .308 hand load for FN SPR

I have a FN PBR 20" barrel 308. I'm not sure how similar the barrel is to the SPR. It is fluted, medium heavy.

It likes 175 SMK, 45gr Varget, with LC LR brass and CCI #34 military primer. I've only shot it to 200 yards, but seems to be under 1 moa.

It heats up fast, then accuracy goes bad fast.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VIZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been hand loading for a .308 FN SPR 1:12 twist.The load I'm using is once fired Lapua brass,168 gr. Hornady A-Max bullet,46 grains of Varget and CCI BR primers.I don't think the bullet is stabilizing through the air because the hole that it's creating is slightly large looking compared to factory match Hornady 168 gr. loads which shoots 1/2 MOA groups often.The hand load does shoot well groups though.I have tried many hand loads through this gun including 168 gr. Sierra bullets and IMR 4064 powder. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! </div></div>

If you can't stabilize a 168 through a 12 twist with that load, you've got bigger problems than bullet choice.

That load is pretty warm, but with Lapua you should be OK.

Most importantly--how long are you seating them--relative to the lands?

A 155 scenar over 45.5 grains of Varget in Lapua brass, loaded to mag length is a darned good load out of an SPR.

I get .4 groups with that bullet and 41.5gr of IMR 3031 at 2.770 OAL
My rifle is not an SPR and I have no experience with one.

My buddy uses win brass, 45gr of Varget, BR2, and a 175 SMK. His rifle shoots very well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AR-180</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My buddy uses win brass, 45gr of Varget, BR2, and a 175 SMK. His rifle shoots very well. </div></div>

This is a real common load for a few of my friends that shoot SPR's. The results are great.

I alson have a FN SPR 1:12 twist in a 24". I have loaded serval 168 gr A-Max bullets with 42 gr of IMR 4895 seated .010 into the lands. I have gotten 1/2 MOA @ 100 yards with this load. I have got .375" group results with a 168 gr Hornady BTHP match Moly with 42 grain of Vith. n-140 seated .010 into lands. I have got another great load for the FN, you probably won't believe. A 110 gr V-max with 47 gr IMR 4895 seated .005 off lands with a fed. 210m primer shooting groups averaging .375"

Just purchased an SPR, 20". Found this thread searching for good loads. Thread is pretty old, anyone got any new ideas? Can anyone point me at any good literature on this particular weapon/load?

Thanks
WW

Hey Will... here are my loads. These worked well out of both my FN-spr's

43.8 Varget
Lapua brass
fed210match or cci br2 primer
178 amax or 190 smk
2.86 to 2.87 coal

2.8 mills to 460 yards
3.7 mills to 565 yards

45.5 RL-17
Hornady brass
cci-br2 primer
190 smk or 185berger bt
2.86 to 2.87 coal

2.8 mills to 460 yards
3.7 mills to 565 yards

These loads usually hover a little below 3/4 moa for me. I did try to play with the 208amax and RL-17, but no joy with that combo for me. I think its a shade to heavy for the 1/12 twist I have. I do have CDI precision / AICS mags so your COAL will probably be a little shorter.

Hope that helps ya with a good starting point.

Ren

Thanks Ren! Anyone else with ideas?

"A 155 scenar over 45.5 grains of Varget in Lapua brass, loaded to mag length is a darned good load out of an SPR."

Sounds pretty good to me but looking it up in a Sierra manual, and comparing it to a same weight HPBT MK, it appears a little hot. Is the bullet manufacturer that influential in allowing a hotter load with the same powder or are we just pushing the envelope a little here? In fact, when I look up most of the loads here, many of them are outside the recommended load limits in my Sierra manual but again, different bullet manufacturer. So I'm not sure if the bullet is making the powder load OK, or is everyone just running a little hotter than what the manuals recommend?

I'm not brand new to reloading but I'm no expert. I'm running a 190gr Sierra HPBT MK with 70gr of RE-22 in my .300 Win Mag with great groups. Now that I'm getting the SPR, I'd like to find a really nice load for that as well that I'm comfortable isn't going to tear up the rifle or me.

Thanks for any thoughts you'd like to share
WW

Sierra's manual lists "lawyer loads". Look at the powder manufactures' recommendations for max loads as a guide. With any load recommended by others start 10-20% under and work up to your desired volocity and accuracy. The brass will show pressure signs before you do damage to your rifle.

Good advice. I should have thought of that. I'm in the medical field and the general medication guides give pretty conservative drug use/dosages, if you want the 'real skinny' you go to the drug manufacturer's inserts for the data. Thanks LRLars.

WW

I've got a FNH PBR xp with a 20" barrel. The one from CDNN. With the shorter barrel, it tends to do better with slightly faster powder. Mine does well with 40.8gr of WC844F, 175SMKs, CCI #34 primers and LC brass. Your mileage may differ.

FN A5M-SPR
1:12 Twist 24" Fluted Chrome Lined Factory Barrel
Tubb's FF & TMS applied http://www.davidtubb.com/finalfinish.html
(Controversial product, but demonstrated velocity and accuracy gains to me.)

Federal 210M Primers
Lake City M118 LR Brass
Sierra 175gr Match King Bullets
Alliant RL15 Powder (44.3 grains)
(WARNING: If you decide to go hotter with this load, 44.5 grains will begin to show signs of pressure on hot days and in the rain.)
AVG Velocity @ 12 ft above sea level = 2710 fps

This load started off as a M118-LR Clone and then was developed / proven with a 500 yard ladder test.
(The initial M118-LR load used the same components and charge weight before it was downloaded to 43.2 grains of RE15.)

Ladder Test indicated two accuracy nodes @ 42.7gr-42.9gr & 44.2gr-44.9gr.
These results were consistent with other ladder test results that I had discovered online.
Since the node at the upper end was quite a bit more broad, that was the one I went with.
Even know RE15 has a reputation for being temperature sensitive, this broad node makes up for that characteristic.

Other desirable items that this load brings to the table are:
- Using LC LR Brass, you are close to 100% case capacity.
- Lake City brass is a bit thicker and if annealed allows for a very long case life.
- 175 Grain Sierra Match King's are a proven 1,000 yd + bullet.
- Reloader 15 is easily metered out of an RCBS Charge Master.
- Unlike a 155 grain Lapua Scenar load, this load is mild enough that it will not chew up barrels.
- It is a proven load that is still in use by the military

Of course, always follow safe loading practices and work up to any loads to ensure that they are safe in your firearm.

YMMV as to the accuracy results.
Just thought that I would share my work with a fellow SPR owner.

Phil

Thank you everyone again for the great ideas and information. I've run 9 different loads through my rifle looking at velocity and groups. I think I've settled on the following as the best for my rifle (with me shooting it).

Lapua Brass
Remington 9 1/2 primer
Winchester 748 45gr
Sierra MK 168gr
OAL on comparator 2.255, to tip 2.828 (just feeds in the mag)

Gives me 2560fps (avg) on the 20" barrel
With me shooting... 0.5" group at 100yds with only 100rds fired on this rifle thus far.

I tried Lapua Scenars, Berger VLD's, SMK's, and the 168 SMK was the only one that I could load to the lands AND still feed in the mag smoothly. I tried RL-17, Varget, Winchester 748 and Viht N135. The Winchester gave me slower velocity but better groups and consistency, the ball powder meters better I think. I'm going to punch up the load a touch and see if I can get closer to 2700 with the W748.

I worked up a stats sheet based on ideas from other's. It incorporates the load description, my chrono findings, calculated measurements and finally a cost comparison. If anyone is interested in a copy of the stats sheet, let me know, it's on Excel.

Thanks again everyone. Anyone that has other thoughts on these loads please feel free to chime in.

WW
Fire 4 Effect Weapon Systems, LLC

Will,
I don’t know what part of the country you are from or what your weather is like,
But, pushing 748 to its limits is something I would not recommend. You will find
that the perfect load today will stick your bolt tomorrow. Heck, by the 4th shot sometimes.
I guess what I’m trying to say is that it is temp sensitive. I love and use the powder a lot
through my Dillon But, I don’t push it to its limits and I stay at or below 150 grain pills for plink'en ammo.
I’m shooting A 20” 1:12 my self and I’m still searching for the magic 2700 fps. without trashing my brass. I am playing with IMR
4895 right now with 168 MKs.

Tater,

Interesting point I hadn't considered. I'm actually in El Paso and the day I was shooting those loads it was 97F at the range (in the shade). I didn't see any signs of fatigue on the cases but maybe I missed it or maybe they're new enough cases that they took it... not sure. I loaded some IMR7828 but didn't like the consistency or groups as much. Do you have a magic cut off for your 748 loads that you feel is just too sensitive/hot for this rifle?

Thanks for your time
WW

Not really, With 150 FMJs 43.5 to 44.0 function fine in my FALs Though, Sometimes the
Primers are a little flat If they soak in a hot barrel. This is Plink’en ammo. I just thought you should
Be aware 748 is a little Squirrely.
HTH

Update on loads for my 308 FNH PBR w/ 20" fluted barrel.

Loaded 175SMK, 43.1gr RL15, CCI #34 primer and LC LR brass, it goes subsonic between 800 to 900 yards.

But bump the charge up to 44.3gr RL15, it stays supersonic to 1000 yards. Didn't see any signs of overpressure; primers were OK and bolt didn't stick.

Precision was pretty good. At 800 to 1000 yards, elevation was within 1 moa, but I wasn't good enough to compensate for the wind, so horizontally was bad. Under 1 moa to 500 yards.

On he the PBR any one able to get closer to the lands than .050? If i load to the lands i am not able to load the round in the mag. Any suggestions? Change the trigger and mag well? Was trying to load up some 220gr sierra for fun to see what happens. Do 155 scenars get closer?
Also trying to get this rifle to shoot past 1000 yards. any one got a load to get me there? I was with a guy this weekend he had the CDNN action and put a barrel on it was shooting 175gr bullet and making hits at 1400 yds!

Bergers and Scenars won't go to the lands and load in the mag. I got 168 SMK's to fit in the mag and load into the lands just barely. I'm pretty good out to 800 with that load but I'm not good enough to be consistent at 1000 with any kind of wind and I haven't even tried beyond that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowpull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On he the PBR any one able to get closer to the lands than .050? If i load to the lands i am not able to load the round in the mag. Any suggestions? Change the trigger and mag well? Was trying to load up some 220gr sierra for fun to see what happens. Do 155 scenars get closer?
Also trying to get this rifle to shoot past 1000 yards. any one got a load to get me there? I was with a guy this weekend he had the CDNN action and put a barrel on it was shooting 175gr bullet and making hits at 1400 yds! </div></div>

I have an SPR-A3G.
175smk
45.0 Varget
Win Brass
BR2
2.845 OAL, no where near the lands
2495fps@90deg, 2490fps@30deg 2500ft elev

Shot to 1276yds last summer, 19" target. Across a large canyon with miltiple draws. Elevation was about 2800ft, temps were in the mid 60's. First and second round hits, 3-5rounds were mikes. My partner was shooting RL15 and 175's. He had an opposite experience, mikes at the start and hits on the end of the string.

I have An SPR action in manners T4 and krieger 1-12 twist 25 inch, my Fclass load is Win brass, 45gr varget, 175 SMK an CCI BR primer, shoots sub 1/2 MOA, this loads works as well in my TRG 22.

I'm looking to work up a 175/178 GR load for my 24" 1:12 FNA2 and was considering the Berger 175 GR Tactical OTM. The write-ups describe excellent performance in magazine length. Anyone have experience with this bullet?
Thanks, Pete

Yeah... I have a crazy fucking load that shoots in the .3s, but it won't fit in the magazine...which makes it kind of useless except for bench shooting, which I'd be on benchrestshooting.com if I was interested in that.

Back to the drawing board.

Is anyone doing their measurements off the ojive of the bullet?

I am "chasing" the rifling on my gun, so far i am loading 168's to 2.280 ogive to be about .005 from the rifling, doing some test this weekend with this, with a progressive load up to see if i see any pressure spikes from the bullet being on the rifling, post in a day or so my progress

anyone else have some experience with the lapua 155's in a 24" fn spr? got a load tested this weekend within .2 of another to watch pressure signs and checking velocity with the chrono, hoping for 2900-2950+

Ben Y

I have an FN SPR A1A. My measured COAL is 2.875 to the lands. Thus far, all I have loaded is 168 SMK's with Varget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sins4u33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone else have some experience with the lapua 155's in a 24" fn spr? got a load tested this weekend within .2 of another to watch pressure signs and checking velocity with the chrono, hoping for 2900-2950+

Ben Y </div></div>

No experience with Lapua's but Sierra 155 Palma's were great out of my PBR with 1:12 twist.

how much grains of Varget for the 168gr for best accuracy in your FNH SPR A1A.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: perazzisc3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how much grains of Varget for the 168gr for best accuracy in your FNH SPR A1A.</div></div>

work up a load for you rifle, but we have seem people doing mag length rounds with 46gr of varget on a good piece of brass perform very well, just be careful your not showing pressure signs, dont want that puppy blowing up in your face.

Here is my recipe
Berger 175 OTM
Accurate 2520 @ 45grains
Custom Brass
CCI br-2 primers
OAL 2.770
FPS was about 2666 on average

My performance at 1000 yards was remarkable.. This works very well in my FNH A5M

Here's mine I use in 3 308's with 1/12 barrels
Lapua brass
BR-2 primmers
43.5 IMR4064
168 Nosler Custom comp bullet
Mag length for the SPR and 2.850 for the other ones

I run my 20" 1/12 PBR as a hunting rifle. Runs 1 hole at 100, and 3.5" at 500
My pet load is
FGM Brass
Fed 210 M primers
42.5 gr Varget
178gr AMAX, at 2.81 mag length.

2650 fps, Easy on brass, and shoots great, kills things dead. my fave.

Last edited:
Ten zero, u mean 42.5 gr varget? I run 155 ncc in my a3g. My load for varget is hornady match brass with br2 and 47.2 gr. Actually from 46.8-47.2 is real good, take a pedestal rest and rear sandbag to agg any difference. It runs 2850. Same load but in match prepped wcc brass gets me 2890. H4895 in the hornady brass at 46.0 gr is super accurate and fast. Shoots in the .3s and runs 2930 fps. Have not tried any other bullet in it, have about 1900 or so 155 ncc on hand. I do have a box of 175ncc and 190 smk, but haven't played with any. Is varget a little too fast for the 190? My 155 load (2850) is supersonic to 1150@340'asl.

6 br, yes 42.5 gr. Sorry about that, I hope I didn't cause somebody a squib load. I found that in any of my .308 rifles, once I got over about 44 gr of Varget at mag length, I got good accuracy still, but my brass was taking a beating. 42.5 seem to be a FGMM clone for me, and it works great in my gassers and bolt guns. Def NOT a speed freak load, but it just flat works for everything I ask.