• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report .308 Hornady TAP Ammo

Upstate43

Private
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2017
Can someone explain the differences between .308 Hornady Tap ammo marked for LEO only (informally referred to as Red Box TAP ammo) and .308 Hornady TAP FPD (for personal defense) which is marketed to civilians (informally referred to as Black Box TAP ammo)?

On the surface, it seems the LEO-oriented TAP ammo uses traditional brass whereas the civilian variants use a nickel-coated case.

Is everything else the same in terms of bullet construction, powders used and overall loading?

I'm looking at specifically at the .308 168 TAP.

I've searched through old forum posts, but I haven't seen any conclusive determination on the subject.

I use the 168 gr A-MAX TAP #80965. The TAP (red box) is more consistent round to round than any of the other A-MAX. TAP has a published muzzle velocity of 2676 fps whereas the other A-MAX list 2700 fps.

So 60 more fps? Is that due to a different powder being used?

Is there any difference in the bullet itself?

Think the projectiles are the same. Best to call Hornady , they are very good about responding. 1-800-338-3220

I've heard from others that Hornady isn't all that forthcoming with regards to their LEO-only TAP ammo.